1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

smoking computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by socaliray, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socaliray

socaliray Thread Starter

I have this computer which at one point it was smoking. When I tried to start it, nothing would come on the monitor at all and it has fast steady beep coming out of the speaker on the box. It's kinda old computer. What could be the problem here. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Help!!!

2. madbadger

madbadger

Call the fire brigade!! :)

MB

Seriously......I think you've prob fried the processor, I suppose if it beeps the power supply is OK, if we knew the exact beep message we could help you.......maybe

3. littlemar

littlemar

It's smoking with a continuous beep. I would make sure you leave it unplugged, you don't need a fire to start. It's an old pc and if the processor is fried I'm guessing that the rest of the components in there are pretty well shot too. I would seriously consider a new pc since it sounds like everything would have to be replaced. Sorry, but that's my honest opinion. Good luck.

4. monted

monted

<----------------------

5. tjsudo

tjsudo

Open the box and see where the smoke is coming from.(with a bucket of water, naturally)
    I bet it's coming out from the power supply.

TJ

6. monted

monted

WITH A BUCKET OF WATER?????????????????????????

7. tjsudo

tjsudo

Or with a fire extinguisher.

I don't wanna be responsible for a fire.

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

I would not use a bucket of water!!!
    But open the computer up and look for burnt components. If you are lucky it may be something you can replace easily and cheaply.

Check this page for beep codes. You will need to see what kind of BIOS chip you have.

http://209.51.129.221/index.htm

9. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Poor little computer:(

(I am sure the water was a joke....:D :D :D )

T2

10. tjsudo

tjsudo

I was joking about water and extinguisher but not joking about power supply.

He said smoke coming out. I don't think volt and amp applied to MB would cause smoke.
    It's gotta be Power or motor(HDD, CD-Rom, Floppy, etc.).

TJ

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

tjsudo

Well I have to disagree with you there. I have seen plenty of burned components on different boards in systems and laptops although it is more likely for the power supply to smoke. (unless its an AMD processor with no fan) ;)

12. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Ah, a case of "no smoke without..........!"

Seriously, hope you get the matter sorted soon.

T2:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/99864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice