1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Smooth Jazz......

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by chaos4001, Aug 5, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

Wow. This seems like a weird place to ask about this. Anyway, I got hold of a Jeff Lorber album recently and really liked it. I've always liked jazz but I think that the words get in the way of the music sometimes and I really like to just hear the music without someone singing.

I also happen to be a big fan of both Frank Sinatra and Bobby Darrin, and I really like the "big band sound".

Knowing these tastes, could someone recommend to me some cool artists? Thanks a lot!

2. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Confusing, you like the music but the singing gets in the way........but your a great fan of Frankie :D not many Sinatra tracks without singing;) but I agree never the less. (y)

I know little of jazz but enjoy some of it, can't stand modern jazz(n)
    My father was a great James Last fan, had a stack of records that stood 3ft high. I myself like Ramsey Lewis.....have you tried them?

3. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

Well... Sinatra and Darrin... yes, they sing, but there's just something about their style....

Anyway, I've heard good things about Ramsey Lewis... he was one of those names that I could remember. I guess I'll look into him. Any more suggestions? Anyone?

4. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Gary Mulligan, Stan Getz, Shorty Rogers, Dizzy Gillespe, Thelonious Monk, Joe Passeleque or Joe Pass, Gene Krupa, Artie Shaw, Stan Kenton Band, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodmans Band, Charlie (Byrd) Parker.....I'm not sure on all the spellings, but my memory has these on hand, and they are a mixture of soft jazz, jazz, and big band musucians

5. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

I might have a look into some of these myself, maybe hang around this thread for a spell to.

6. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

Mmm... Duke Ellington, there's another familiar name.

7. jcroix2002

jcroix2002

smooth jazz or "beyond" jazz?

jcroix2002

8. poochee

poochee

There are different types of Jazz. I am a fan of "Smooth Jazz". In that genre you will find artists like Peter White, Simply Red, Praful, etc. I suggest you GOOGLE smooth jazz and you will find many groups.

This link describes what smooth jazz is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_jazz

9. poochee

poochee

10. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

I would think the music I like is of the Smooth variety, although I like Fusion pretty well.

11. poochee

poochee

The music world is very large. I like most types of music, including foreign music. I don't limit myself to the pop of the day, and I never did, even as a teen-ager. It is good to explore all types of music.

12. HenryVI

HenryVI

I know nothing about jazz except the kind they play on the radio sucks....... it isn't the old stuff (even hough I've never heard any old stuff).

Agreed with the quote. I never thought I would like Bob Marley and I find he is a superb musician (y)

13. poochee

poochee

Hi Henry! Keep exploring different music and musicians, you will discover a lot of music to enjoy. :)

14. chetnya

chetnya

Jean luc ponty, his album titled " The gift of time is good"

Gotta listen to "Take 5 " by Dave Brubeck

Billy Cobhams album "Picture This " is fantastic

Also check out the band Weather report and Steps ahead.

A Sax player named Bob Berg has a tune called Kalimba that is one of my favorites.

If you have a broadband connection you can download the Itunes software and spend endless hours sampling songs for sale in their vast inventory but you need broadband because if you try to sample on 56K dialup it will take too long to get the song samples to start and you will just quit it before you hear much . You can select a category like Jazz and then just start going down the list and listen to 10 second samples

15. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

I have Napster, they'll let me listen to stuff. I might give that a try. And I;ve never liked much of the music that's popular among my age group (14). I've always done my own thing... :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice