1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMPS (power supply) requirement for my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotmail042001, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotmail042001

hotmail042001 Thread Starter

I have following configuration
    Intel DG 965 RY Board
    Intel Dual Core 3.2 GHZ processor
    Nvidea Quadro FX 580 Graphic card
    3 SATA HDD (500 + 500 + 300)
    1 SATA DVD Drive
    RAM 4 GB (4 chip 1 GB each)
    Power supply iBall LPE223-400
    I am experiencing frequent automatic restart of the system and sometimes my hard drives got vanished from My Computer.

Can somebody tell me that my SMPS (power Supply) is enough for this configuration?
    if not then What is minimum required?

2. mel8again

mel8again

Try http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. Make sure you put in as much info as you can (USB ports, etc.). I am not sure more power will solve the problem. It could be overheating for example. What are you doing when it does these restarts? Go to System in Control Panel and click on Advanced system settings. In the box that pops up click on the Advanced tab and the Startup and Recovery settings button. In the new box put a check mark in the Write and event to the system log and untick the box Automatically restart. Click OK, Apply, OK. Next time you can go to Event viewer and maybe see what the problem is. You could also download and install free SpeedFan from http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

3. hotmail042001

Thnx Buddy.. the power calculator telling me that i require 352 watt.. I have iBall LPE223-400 SMPS, I m not able to find out how much wattage this SMPS is providing me...

4. mel8again

mel8again

According to Google your psu is 400 Watts. I would prefer a more robust psu. Some of todays video cards require 400 watts or more (depending on the model) to operate smoothly. I still think it is heat.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Looking at your setup and without consulting any calculators, 350 watts would be about what I would estimate for your system.

In this case, a 400 watt PS is definitely inadequate. Presuming it is capable of meeting its rated power output (not all are), then you are still running it consistently at over 85% of full load.

Under such load conditions, any "warts" in the PS will show. This includes things like sagging output voltages (which will cause intermittent resets), high ripple (which will cause intermittent resets), and high heat production (which can cause intermittent resets).

Also, as the PS ages, often the maximum output power it can sustain decreases.

Get the picture?

You should no more run your PS at 85% power on a continuous basis than you should run your car's engine at 85% maximum RPM continuously.

Get a bigger PS. Go about 700 Watts, which puts the load on the PS at about 50%. This leaves headroom, keeps the heat production down, and doesn't stress the PS.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I built 3 or 4 systems with the DG965RY board and had capacitor problems with the boards just after 3 years.

Just above the PCIe slot you will see 4 capacitors. Check them closely, on the failed boards I found 3 of the 4 capacitors defective. Also, just above the CMOS battery you will see 3 capacitors. On the failed boards I found all to be defective. They are all marked 3300uf 6.3v.

If you don't know what a capacitor looks like, they look like small cans with 3 notches on top. The capacitors should be perfectly flat on top. If they show any indication of swelling AKA bulging the capacitors are defective.

7. hotmail042001

Thnx everyone for the great help... I go the point that my PS is insufficient... going for higher one.. any suggestion on brand..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!