1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMTP addresses

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Feral Geek, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to change a users name in AD and then add a new SMTP address with the new user name. For example, the users current user name is adminassistant and I want to change it to jdoe. I want his e-mail to be [email protected] (currently it is [email protected]). Can I leave the [email protected] SMTP address and just add [email protected] so he can still receive e-mails from people who only have the [email protected] addy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am a networking novice at a small non-profit and would like to save the company $ by not calling their network consultants in for this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

2. rhynes

rhynes

I think you can but what about emails coming into his current email address? If you change it you will lose it. The easiest way is to create a new user account with the new email address. Either change his login and profile to reflect the new user or give his current user access/permissions to the new email account.

3. Feral Geek

Thanks, I know I can add a new account with a new user name but this user is taking over the home folder, e-mail etc... of the former user who had a generic user name (adminassistant). Just thought it would be easier to rename then create a new user account and have to move all the files to the new home folder. Thanks for your help!!

4. Feral Geek

Hello,

I actually was able to change the name of the user and add an additional SMTP address and set it as the primary while keeping the old SMTP address which I will delete in 30 days. I checked and the user can receive e-mails from the old e-mail addy and the new one. Thanks for your help.

Feral Geek

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!