1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

smtp connection failure; cannot send email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by aidezmoi, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aidezmoi

aidezmoi Thread Starter

I sure could use some help brainstorming this situation which has only developed sometime in the past 15 hours. I use Thunderbird 8.0 as my email client with my Comcast account. I successfully sent an email yesterday afternoon, but, starting early this morning, when I try to send an email, I consistently get "Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.comcast.net timed out." I can receive email with no problem, and my first thought was that the problem lay with Comcast. After a while I tried logging on to the Comcast web site and found I was able to send email from there with no problem. I then called Comcast, and they indicated it must be a Thunderbird problem. They provided me with a tech help number for TB, which I used. The hard-to-understand tech responder logged into my system, but he was only able to confirm that I couldn't send email from TB, and that I could do so from the Comcast site. Further help would cost money, which I declined.

More information: (Reboots have been tried with no success.) This same identical problem occurs when I use my laptop where TB 8.0 is also installed. The two computers use different security systems, including different firewalls. I did run Malwarebytes on this desktop computer with negative results. The only common points with the two computers that I can think of are the email address, and the router and modem, but I have made no changes in recent months. The laptop uses a wireless connection, while the desktop is hardwired to the router. I rebooted the router, but that also had no effect. Any ideas and help would be welcome!

2. aidezmoi

aidezmoi Thread Starter

Problem solved. I changed port on smtp server to port 587.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice