1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMTP not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oniro, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oniro

oniro Thread Starter

I have a POP3 account which is receiving mail normally from my e-mail company but is not sending out my e-mails. That is HOTPOP.COM who has also paid services but mine is a free basic account. I have sent them 4 requests asking to check if their settings for my account are ok but they never answer because maybe they only have customer service for paid accounts.

My settings,at my e-mail client, are ok and acording to the configuration they recomend. Besides that, I have a POP3 Hotmail account which is working fine (Incoming and outgoing mail) from Outlook Express.

But when I try to send mail through Hotpop I get the following error message:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.hotpop.com', Server: 'smtp.hotpop.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

I don´t know what this error message means. What can I do to solve this problem ?

Thanks for your help,

Oniro

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Is HotPop your ISP? . . most ISP's will require you send mail thru their SMTP . . regardless of which POP address you receive it from.

wrs

3. oniro

oniro Thread Starter

No, I have a local ISP and SDL provider but is only for the broadband. Hotpop is only one of those free accounts provider, like Hotmail or Yahoo.I mind about this Hotpop account because I´ve had same e-mail address for years.

Thanks for your help.

Oniro

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You will probably have to use the local ISP SMTP address to send mail. Because of the spamming problems, most ISP are no longer allowing third party SMTP addresses.

wrs

5. oniro

oniro Thread Starter

But the point is that still I have a Hotmail POP3 account with incoming and outgoing mail working smoothly from my client OutlookExpress. :confused:

Thanks again,

Oniro

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

What is the smtp on the hotmail account?

wrs

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

thru outlook express, hotmail sets up its own pop/smtp servers.

you have to use the smtp server from your isp to send mail from this 3rd environment even though you can recieve from its pop server:cool:

8. hofty

hofty

I have tried everything and can not send any email with outlook express.

9. bobol

bobol

try this site's
    Internet & Networking // Web & Email forum...move the post there if no luck here.

10. Sequal7

Sequal7

11. oniro

oniro Thread Starter

Thank you all. I have solved my problem. The broadband provider told me about the new SMTP parameters, those being different from the set up configuration by Hotpop. The broadband supplier suddenly made the changes without notice.

Thank you Sequal17, Bobol, Bearone2 and Simpswr for your insights and help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice