1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SMTP Servers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by reidyg, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I'm sure the problems with SMTP is well documented in the forums, but I could not find anything relevant to my problem. I use Windows Mail for sending and receiving and much prefer it to webmail. However, I've moved from Ireland where the most common ISP is eircom which provides my email. I'm based in Glasgow and I'm using a lot of different web cafes, wifi hotspots as well as work and home. As all of these areas have different ISPs and different SMTP addresses and protocols. After doing a bit of googling, I've found a few references to smtp services, tunneling and other ways around this. I'm just wondering can anyone tell me a relatively simple and free way of getting Windows Mail to send/recieve without constantly changing my settings and keeping my original email address?

Forgot to say that I'm using XP on my laptop.

Thanks

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

The best and easiest way to make that work for traveling is to open a
    pop3 web mail account so you never have to change the settings.
    Perhaps Google or Yahoo! Make that account your new "original
    email address."

3. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but I've had the same email for nearly 8 years and would rather not have to use a new one. I've been checking out PostCast but seems a bit complicated. Does anyone know much about it?

4. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

bump

Just back from a trip again. Can anyone recommend a program or procedure that will by-pass an ISP smtp server so I can send email abroad with Outlook/Live Mail.

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
  6. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

Thanks Skinny, but I've used a few of does programs but can't seem to get the settings right. I presume a program like this runs in the background as I use my mail client. If I do it right my smtp and port settings are set to freesmtp which in turn forwards my mail bypassing the smtp server of my ISP. However I can't get the settings right.

7. arayq2

arayq2

These ISPs are irrelevant. All that matters is whether you can connect to your eircom account.

Have you tried receiving/sending mail with your eircom settings?

For instance, my outgoing mail is handled by the SMTP server at outgoing.verizon.net. I can connect to it from anywhere in the world, authenticate, and relay my outgoing mail. Similarly, inbound mail involves an authenticated POP3 connection to incoming.verizon.net.

I'd be surprised if the eircom setup were any different. It's a bog standard setup.

8. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

I do have my pop3 settings set to eircom, I have no problems what so ever receiving mail, but sending mail is the problem. For instance, in the UK I mainly use British telecom connections in other businesses, cafes, hotels, etc. However, ISPs like BT want you to authenticate any out going mail, and since I have no BT account to enter a username and password, their SMTP servers keeps blocking. This is an increasing problem around europe as more ISPs start using authentication.

I have found a temporary solution. I've set up a Windows Live account and email address. I use windows Live Mail as my client and because my Live email is HTTP for all ingoing/outgoing, it bypasses SMTP. I have the account to send emails with my eircom address as the header and return address. It's a messy solution but I have no other workaround

9. arayq2

arayq2

It could be that BT won't allow connections to port 25 to escape its network, forcing clients to use its SMTP servers as relays. But if not, I still don't understand why you don't connect to eircom's (not BT's) SMTP servers for outgoing mail. Maybe they don't have any public-facing servers for their customers (perhaps because they haven't installed an auth module -- that would be so low-rent)?

10. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

For some reason when I use eircoms smtp settings, BT still blocks my mail because everything sent goes through their smtp server first.

11. arayq2

arayq2

That's impossible. When you connect to example.mailserver.eircom:25, BT's SMTP servers aren't in the picture at all. Either the connection to eircom's server succeeds, or it fails. In the latter case, BT is not allowing SMTP connections to escape its network. A very heavy-handed, yet not very effective, way of dealing with spammers among its customers.

12. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

Eircom themselves say that if I'm not on an eircom connection I have to use the ISP smtp settings (BT for example). I can't use BTs settings as its server requires authentication with a BT customer username and password. Hence I would require a BT subscription just to send an email through their server (unless I use webmail, which is what I want to avoid.

13. arayq2

arayq2

Bummer.

And yet, very odd. I just tried the Eircom site, and found this tutorial. Clearly, there is a SMTP server for outgoing mail (aliased to mail1.eircom.net). As a test, I was able to connect to it from a box in the US East Coast:

% telnet mail1.eircom.net 25
    Trying 159.134.198.135...
    Connected to mail1.eircom.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mail10.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net ESMTP
    quit
    221 mail10.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    %

If you have a terminal program, such as PuTTY, you can test whether in fact BT is allowing connections to port 25 outside its network. If BT is, then the problem is elsewhere. And if eircom's SMTP server were restricted to eircom customer connections only, then my little test with telnet above wouldn't have worked.

14. reidyg

reidyg Thread Starter

After running telnet I get:

220 rblsmtpd.local

Connection to host lost.

So I'm definitly being blocked somewhere. Even BT states that I need SMTP authentication http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt But BT is not the only connection I use when travelling so a BT only workaround might not be enough.

15. arayq2

arayq2

Oh great, qmail/rblsmtpd.

Do you get this even if you telnet to the IP address (159.134.198.135)? It might even be interesting to see what IP address BT's DNS servers give you for mail1.eircom.net...

Good grief. That is some screwed up system they have. No wonder BT has such a bad rep.

Why not? Maybe BT is the only one to insist on such cockamamie arrangements.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!