1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sneakernet Data WinXP to W10

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ehbowen, Aug 5, 2018.

1. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I'm using two Windows XP machines for video capture; the specialty hardware and software doesn't function under Vista and later. However, I use Windows 10-based software for editing and processing after capture is complete. I'd rather keep the XP machines air-gapped and the files are too large (75-100+ GB) to transfer via USB stick. I have hot-swap drive bays in all of the machines I'm using and a selection of 2 TB HDDs for working data.

My problem is with one pair of machines in particular. I captured data to one of the 2TB drives on XP, then took it to a W10 machine which didn't, at first, recognize the drive. I went into Disk Management, found the drive, and added it to the system without much trouble losing no data in the process. However, when I took it out to sneakernet it back for more capture files...now the XP machine doesn't see it at all. I can't even find it in Disk Management.

There is no critical data on this drive so it would be only a minor loss if it had to be initialized and re-formatted. However, I plan to keep using it in this manner in the future. I've had no trouble at all swapping my other capture drive among the machines without issues. How can I set up this drive and the machines so that the problem child (and other HDDs in the future) works smoothly from now on?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you rebooted, or powered off and back on, the computer since putting the drive back? Does the BIOS see the drive? If Disk Management doesn't see it the problems is not the same as on the Win10 box; seems more like a hardware detection issue.

Once the drive is detected again on the XP system you can try moving it back to the Win10 system and see it still sees the partition properly. The issue may be just a one off otherwise I'd try re-partitioning & reformatting it on the XP system and then do some transfer tests to see if the newer computer also detects it. If not try reformatting on the Win10 and see if the XP box sees it.

As an alternative that is less likely to be problematic due to BIOS issues you may want to consider an external USB hard drive but they also make USB sticks over 128GB these days too, but an USB hard drive would be faster than a USB stick.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice