Snow White virus seemed to open itself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daniel Davis

I got an email recently that was infected with the snow white virus. I didn't even open it..but it seemed to open itself before I could delete it. Is there some windows 98se browser setting that automatically opens emails?

If you are using Outlook Express, try going to tools, options, read, and take the checkmark out of "Automatically download messages when viewing in the Preview Pane"....post back results, and good luck...Rhett

I would remove the preview pane all together. In outlook express click view--layout--uncheck show preview pane and ok out. Then to open emails you would need to doubleclick on the subject.

Another thing you should do is download Noscript.exe to disable windows scripting host. (Keep the file, don't delete it) Disabling WSH will prevent worm viruses from automatically executing when an email is opened. But it may not stop a virus from running if you manually click on an infected attachment to open it so always be cautious about opening attatchments.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/win.script.hosting.html

I got Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! twice in one week and each time I got 3 email with the attachment.
I never open the attachments because I knew the name of the virus and ran a scan on it and all was ok.
Now Norton AV came up clean because it can not tell that the attach file is a virus on so file types. Anyhow all the attached files were renamed also by ZoneAlarm.
Like midgets.scr was rename to midgets.zlq and so on.

Now I have Disabling my WSH with Noscript.exe and use Netscape.

Outlook is bad news and Symantec had on one of there pages saying that you should not use Outlook at all.

I.E. has a option to use Netscape Messenger for you email if you want to use I.E.

I also was sent the "Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs 3 times in a week. Fortunately my virus scanner caught them as they SELF OPENED...
I have since fixed it so it will not open in the preview window.

I use AVG 6.0 virus scanner throughout my PC
from http://www.grisoft.com

I also scan at www.antivirus.com once a week as well as I use a trojan scanner/remover from http://www.simplysup.com

Then about once a month I run Ad-Aware for the search & removal of all spyware.... found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com

ALL of the above are FREE

You got lucky then and stopped it.

That is one of the reasons that don't to use Outlook. Some file types open on there own.

But I think if you had ZoneAlarm it would of changed the name if the attached file so that would not have open on you.

See outlook will open a .scr but not a .zlq so it's stopped cold.

So do you have ZoneAlarm?

No I don't have zone alarm... the last version I had of ZAPro.... was messing w/ the performance of my windows so I uninstalled it.. I have "Tiny Personal Firewall"for security .
I also uninstalled McAfee after I found a couple trojans on board a few months back... it was making my system drag along as well.

For virus protection I now use AVG by Grisoft.

Well good you still have a Firewall up.

Now maybe the Free ZoneAlarm would be less of a hit on your PC because you don't have the other programs that come with the Pro version.
But the pro protect you from more email file types.

Seen post in the pass that on the free version some people had more file types that they was protect by then others.
Not sure why but it seam to what the older version they had on there PC when they upgrade over the version they had. If you did a clean install you was not covered by as many file tpyes.
No two people had all the same types that they were cover by. We all went nuts trying to find out what was up and still don't really know.

Tiny is said to be a good one too.

I don't like McAfee and know others have trouble with it so it's best you took it off.

I still have Norton AV 5.0
Can't upgrade because I have Windows 95a and you need 95b or higher.

MailWasher sounds like a good thing to have because it checks you email before it's gets on your PC.
http://www.mailwasher.net/#

It's free but I would want the paid version with the ads.

Just my two cents............

Free version of Z/A is been just fine for my usuage and it does the job.

On the other hand I've wanted to try tiny personal because it uses less resources and that for me would be the difference of starting with 86% as I do now or starting with 90% as I would with tiny.

Maybe one day I can ask SavvyLady about the TPF configuration settings and a few other things that I am not too sure about like proxy server configurations etc. I am interested..

DS

I need to look into another firewall... I just did a security test... it failed on a couple of ports... I had neowatch at one time & it was very good but got on my nerves as wel.
I tried the newest version of Lockdown for a trial period too... liked it a lot but can't afford to buy it.
I bookmarked the mailwasher.
I guess though its back to zone alarm.... if it does ok on my system is proven to be the best so far.

DarkStar.... ask me about proxy settings.....lol
What do I know about them?? nada...
I just got cable about a month ago & have had lots of trouble w/ my proxy... I really don't know a thing about it.

SavvyLady,

Dang, I was holding high hopes for someone to give me a clue as to the nuts and bolts wherein the setup of TPF is concerned.......

.......now you tell me:

"I just did a security test... it failed on a couple of ports... "

I was really under the impression that it passes the Shields up test, I am really confused now..........
I wonder if it has anything to do with initial set up and settings?

Z/A will most likely do the job for you, I just wonder what we are going to do if Z/A decides to pull the plug on us one day?
................also I understand that the Gov. Dept of Defense and many other agencies in Federal Gov use TPF.

Things tend to change by the day so who knows? I just would like to think we are going to have a free Z/A for the future, 'cause I assure you the moment it is gone as a freebie there is going to be a mad scramble to get somethin, then what?

I don't think Norton will do a price drop and if ever the **** hits the fan then a price increase is more likely........
I don't want to talk about Sygate .......been there done that with all of it's spyware BS dcomponents and a trail of more BS that does not like to uninstall....gee I wonder why?

I suppose we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

DS

OK... I was thinking about what DS said so I was going to check some things on Tiny Personel Firewall..... I tried to go from start/programs/TPF/properties... in the 4 files it shows .
Clicking on properties in each one trying to "Find Target" it wouldn't even search... so I uninstalled it & reinstalled it .
It appears to be functioning but I still can't Find Target.
Whats up with that??

Oh and the cable company here us just out of Beta.... the Proxy offers the ISP #... but the security scan went straight to my isp#
as well. So its not protecting me at all.

It did however pass the shields up test because on it you elect not to say to give it permission to probe....
on the other test I took... it didn't ask permission ,,, TPF didn't even notify me
that was at http://www.securitymetrics.com

this is an HP comp.w/ OS Win98 ...its been a pain for the last 3 1/2yrs.
I need a new computer ... like I said in another thread though... money is THE factor.

There will be a Firewall 101 class being held next week, this class will cover TPF setup and configuration settings.
We will also discuss proxy servers and related ......

There will also be an open forum to discuss product features and comparisons

representatives from TSP, Z/A as well as Norton Symatec will be giving seminars and product demos.

Natinal ISPs will have workshops and promotional material available........

There is no fee for this course although attendance is limited......

Dark Star and SavvyLady have enrolled, open enrollment now ongoing at http://wwwFirewall101.com/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online