1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

So I have a 1394 or "Firewire"...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Capslock17, Jul 30, 2006.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Capslock17

Capslock17 Guest Thread Starter

I'm connected to a cable modem through a wireless router. The computer connected directly to the cable line tops out at 100 Mbps, and my wireless connection tops out at 54 Mbps.

On the far right of the taskbar, and hold the cursor over the icon, it says:

1394 Connection
    Speed: 400 Mbps

So here's what I want to know

1.) What exactly is "firewire" or 1394 connection?

2.) If I'm connected, why aren't I running at 400 Mbps?

3.) Is it in fact possible to run at 400 Mbps if the computer connected directly to the cable modem tops out at 100 Mbps?

Thanks people ;)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IEE-1394 is your Firewire connection, it's not your Ethernet connection. It has nothing to do with your network, I'm not sure why it would indicate connected unless you have a Firewire device connected to the machine.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The 1394 Connection on my laptop always says 'connected' and I also have no idea why. I have never had any device connected, and have never even seen a 1394 cable.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My laptop doesn't have a Firewire connection. :)

5. ApolloMonkey

ApolloMonkey

I have been getting the same message, but like the other user I don't have and never have had anything plugged into the firewire port on my PC. Is this just some spurious message from microsoft?

6. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Firewire also says connected on mine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice