1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

So I installed a new cpu fan....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ravager, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ravager

ravager Thread Starter

...went with a recommendation from someone on here.

Now, the thing is nice and quiet.....love it love it love it.

However, my temp idles around 59/60.

Previously it was 75 or so.

I am wondering if something is still wrong? What should the temp be at?

I haven't done this(installing a cpu fan) in a long, long time. Was not sure how much of the thermal paste to use. I removed the pre-applied stuff from the cpu fan, and recoated where i had removed it from. I also put some where the cpu has some previously.

Did I do that wrong or what? If so, be so kind as to explain it to me.

Other than that, things are fine.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might be the application of the thermal paste.

I like to use this paste: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    If applied correctly it alone can reduce the temp by a fee degrees.

But in any case here's their installation guide which applies to any paste really: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Note that you really want to make sure all of the paste is removed and only a small amount of new paste is applied.

All that said what processor do you have? And what case do you have? Does it have any fans and is in an enclosed or warm area?

3. ravager

ravager Thread Starter

processor is a dual core p4 at 3.00ghz. The case is a plain ol case....general computer model is a gateway 831GM.

Kinda warm in the room....but is air conditioned.

It has the cpu fan, a fan blowing hot air out, a hard drive fan, and the GPU fan.

I think I might have used too much paste then. I did use the aritic silver 5 paste, but put a good amount on the heatsink and the cpu cover thingy. I didnt get it everywhere or anything. I made kind of a square in the shape of the old thermal pad that was on the heatsink.

Should I remove some?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Rich-M

Rich-M

That sounds a little high for Presler cpu but if it is Core 2 Duo then it is really very high. Are you certain the clamps are tight all the way around on hsf?

6. ravager

ravager Thread Starter

now the blasted thing is worse than it was in the first place.....

.....back to what was working.

7. ravager

ravager Thread Starter

managed to get it dropped to the low 50's.....

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

With the temperatures you report, I am guessing that if the processor is a Pentium D it is a model 830.

If it is an 830, the temp in the low 50's is not too bad although in a case with good thermal design you can normally get down to a temp in the 45-48c range.

If you don't mind me asking, what cooler did you use?

9. ravager

ravager Thread Starter

you are right about the processor. 830.

And yeah, the case has pretty bad design, the temp did manage to drop to 49 for a bit, lowest ive seen it.

I used this cooler...http://store.cwc-group.com/insohesiandf.html

my next plan is to add my hard drive in the digital media bay, taking that crap out. I never use it.

Then adding a cooling expansion card next to my gpu to cool it off a bit.

After that...a little ram, and im done.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

I wasn't able to find anything regarding a model 831GM at the Gateway site, but I'll throw out a couple of suggestions if they are applicable.

#1-If the case has a front mount point that is not being utilized, install a fan on that mount point PULLING cool air INTO the case.

#2-If the case has an air guide on the side panel, adjust the air guide so that it is about 1/4"-3/8" from the processor fan intake.

If you can run in the upper 40's to low 50'sC then you should be OK. The thermal spec for the PD 830 is 69.8C and the ThermalTrip temp would be approximately 90-91C.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice