1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

so ...i managed to put that old p2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by replay, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. replay

replay Thread Starter

system back together, and i thought i would upgrade the bios (so would recognise the new 40 gig hd) emailed award and they left me a message to call 'em, turns out they want $59.95 for the bios upgrade....yep...60 bucks........anyway now i'm having trouble with the puter not recognising the old 6 gig drive, ihave checked all connections.... the hd detection just shows up all zero's when i run it....i have everything on auto also..... i have reset my bios
    any help would be great....thx

2. byon

byon

Does your harddisk make any sound? Spinning up sounds? or cracking sounds?

do you have any other IDE peripherals connecting to it? if yes, remove it.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can flash the BIOS yourself and for free, if you like. All you need to know is the motherboard make and model and go to the manufacturers website to download the appropiate bios and flash utility.

Back to your current problem: Check the jumpers on the harddrive - it should be set a Master/Single. Also check The IDE cable or try another one. The red stripe on the cable goes to Pin1 on the motherboard and faces the power adaptor on the drive.

If possible try another drive and cable.

4. replay

replay Thread Starter

6 gig hard drive is fine.....cables and jumpers are also fine...have tried the 40 gig drive wont recog' that either ...i think i need to change something in the bios....but what.......i don't know

5. hammerbill

hammerbill

Like mentioned, flashing a bios is free if you want to do it. If you don't, badflash.com will do it much cheaper if you want to send the bios chip in. They are pretty quick.
    Hmmm. If you have a pretty reliable board and don't want to go with a new one, I bet you could pick up one of those ATA pci cards off ebay or somewhere to end this nightmare. It has its own bios and will recognize any working hard drive. Look to pay 15 to 30 dollars, more for a brand new card. This would probably avert the need for the bios flash.

6. replay

replay Thread Starter

can someone post a link for the free bios upgrade... it is a award 01/19/1999 1440bx-w83977-2a69ka1ec-jj
    is it hard to install? directions?..................thx

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Do you know what model Motherboard you have. Or the make and Model of computer if it is a retail computer.

download and install Aida32. It should tell you what motherboard you have.

8. replay

replay Thread Starter

abit bh6

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

10. replay

replay Thread Starter

thanks alot............

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!