1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

So Its Not For Gamers?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by HaroRider, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Apparently Vista has lower fps for many games? I plan on building up my own computer soon (will be my first one) and I was thinking about running Vista in it but since it will be a mainly gaming computer I guess its not a good idea? ----->http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html

2. brooksy

brooksy Banned

The only reason that the FPS will be lower is because it has only just come out and all the manufactures need to do the drivers. Once all the drivers are updated, Games will run sweet....

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I run some games on vista and they run fine. I do agree with the above that drivers will need to mature before you get the best performance.

Do remember vista is much more demanding of hardware than win2k / xp. If you are planning on gaming I would go with at least 2gig of ram and a high end dual core cpu.

4. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Yea ill definately get enough ram for what I need, but I am not sure is it still worth to get XP? Or should i just get Vista and bear with it till they get all the necessary drivers out? Although reading these forums I hear alot of bad things about Vista. Although I know its still new, so this is expected. Its a tuff choice I guess, but put up ur opions anyway guys/girls

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have been using vista for about two months [RTM version for msdn subscribers] I have had 0 problems [other than 1 I caused myself]
    IMO it is a big improvement over xp.

FWIW I see vista replacing xp much faster than xp replaced win2k. With win2k / xp the drivers were the same ie a driver for xp worked for win2k. So when ati released an updated video driver it worked with both os.

With vista, it does not work that way. A driver for xp will not work with vista. I see support for xp going away much sooner than it did for win2k.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you'll want to play the new DirectX 10 games then you'll need Vista, Windows XP will not support DX10.

7. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

alright I see what your saying, this makes sence, you guys been alot of help thanks. More then likely ill end up getting Vista. Check out my other post on my coputer I would like to build up im sure you guys can help me there (http://forums.techguy.org/do-yourself-projects/544490-newb-wants-build-computer.html), anyway thanks again.

8. jimboy

jimboy

I agree with that. Its too early to tell if its for gamers or not. But, I'll go for vista coz that is the latest OS. but I won't buy it, yet, maybe for a year or so. Just wait for the right time. :D :) (y)

9. jimboy

jimboy

Hey guys, I have tried it in my pc and guess wat? I can barely play Oblivion compare to windows XP. I'd say even if you have the recommended specs or more, the video driver is the problem. And also the mobo too. :confused: :D :rolleyes:

10. brooksy

brooksy Banned

You will have to wait untill vista have been out for a while as i said before all the drivers are not out yet.

Vista once been out for a while it will be all running sweet!!!!

11. Ecto

Ecto

I plan on playing oblivion in my new system as well. I can get vista cheap, but if it won't play my games, I'll just get xp.

All my hardware says its vista compatible, so do you think I'll still see that problem?

12. brooksy

brooksy Banned

It will say that it is compatable but it wont work without the correct drivers. any way its your choice i aint installing my vista till a couple of months. good things come to thoose who wait :p

13. MarSie

MarSie

also, once the drivers have matured enough, Vist should run faster than XP once it comes to games. Vista is actually unloading unneeded resources from the memory, as soon as you start a game. But let's see if that marketing crap is going to hold up it's promise in real-life benchmarks :D

For now, you won't have to install Windows Vista, as there are no or hardly any (is Flight Simulator X out yet?). Additionally, you'll have to use a DirectX 10 graphics card to get the new DX10 effect anyways.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :p

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice