1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

So many problems with documents in open office...so frustrated!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HollyG, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I had Microsoft Word (don't remember the year) on my computer, then I downloaded the new Microsoft Word 2007 trial. After it ran out, I could never get my old Microsoft word installed again even though I have the discs. So I resorted to using Open Office. I need to save my documents in either .doc or .rtf for my classes. No matter how many different ways I try to save my documents, my tabs and numbering will always come out messed up. I am getting so frustrated. I have Microsoft Works on here, and tried using that instead, but the same thing keeps happening. I must be doing something wrong. Why doesn't my work save the way I set it up and the format keeps changing. I don't think I can save my work in the open office file format. What is going on? :eek:

2. olliea95

olliea95

Do me a favour and don't use MS Works, it honestly is awful for word processing. But what you might be able to do is reinstall MS Office.

If you download Revo Uninstaller and use that to completely remove the Office trial, and delete the relevant folders it suggests, but be careful with any registry options it wants you to delete. I have never had a problem with it showing something not related but its easy to muck up.

After the trial is removed, insert the retail disks you have and install as per normal. Use the installation key that came with the CD.

3. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Tried to uninstall Microsoft Works but it won't let me.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

It says:
    The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. ....enter an alternate path to the folder containing the installation package works8.msi in the box below: Then it shows a Temp file or the works disc, which I don't have with me now.
    I didn't know I could get Office half off as a student. Thank you. I will do that. But I would like to get works off my laptop because it's just taking up space now.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You probably ran some type of cleaner program that removed Windows log files which wiped out the file necessary to uninstall Works. You could try Revo Uninstaller. It'll probably just end up deleting some files.

7. oksteve

oksteve

any reason why you can't save your work as a .odt file ?

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I use Open Office all the time, and I routinely save as .doc files, and I have almost no trouble with formatting issues.

OO can be a pain to format with, but I think that's true with any wordprocessor.

If you want help with OO, you'll need to be a lot more specific. What version of Windows? What version of OO? What kind of formatting are you doing that is getting fouled up? How is it getting fouled up?

RTF is a horse of a different color; I have ALWAYS had formatting probs when I saved things in RTF format. Actually, the best wordprocessor I ever found for that (and I still use it) is Wordperfect 8.

9. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

It's Open Office 3.2 and Wins XP. When I save my document midway I will save it as a word xp doc, then it always says this may change the formatting, so do you want to save it in odt, and I click no to keep it in current format. If I just have a numbered list with one level it usually reopens ok, but if I have a 2nd level, or 3rd level, then it gets all messed up. I also have lab charts in the rtf format I need to do, and when I save them in rtf it asks the same thing and I need to save it in rtf. Then when I open the chart to work on it sometimes half of it is gone, and I have to reduce all the boxes, or whole cells are missing.

I think it will be easier to just purchase Office 2007. But I still need to get rid of MS Works. It's taking up too much space. I looked at a lot of other posts on how to get rid of it, but none of the solutions worked for me.

10. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I think I got rid of MS Works. I did a search for msworks files, and a large .exe file came up which I deleted. It seems like it's gone now,

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!