1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

So Vista is here. What will Microsoft do next?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by firestormer, Jan 29, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. firestormer

firestormer Thread Starter

Here we are on the eve of the Vista launch and even before my copy arives through the post i want to know whats next.

There has been some speculation that this will be Microsofts last new OS and they will simply update from now on. But what do you think? What have you heard? Do you know something we dont?

Please tell.:)

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Hi firestormer! :) I was listening to my local news and their computer expert says that Vista isn't going to be as great as some think! ;) He said to make sure those planning on purchasing Vista should go to the MSN website first and use the tool to find out if it is compatible with your pc. He said something about those purchasing the $99 version might have to use some $200 program instead...:confused:...not sure what he meant by that! ;) He says there will be compatibility issues and for some it isn't worth the change! ;) He himself is NOT switching to Vista...and he's an expert! :)

3. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Is "Suck harder" a valid answer?

4. angelize56

Hi PCG: No..but it's a valid answer! ;)

5. angelize56

Those thinking of purchasing Vista should read this article first! ;)

Hold off on new Vista
    Microsoft's latest operating system looks great and has cool features, but it's not time to upgrade yet

January 29, 2007

Should I upgrade my computer to Vista?

Probably not. Right now, some programs won't run on Vista, and some older hardware will have issues until manufacturers release Vista-specific drivers. If your computer is more than a couple of years old, it probably doesn't have a graphics card capable of showing off Vista's new graphics features.

In general, it's always a good idea to wait six months or so before installing a new operating system, to give everyone else the chance to be a guinea pig for any potential bugs.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070129/NEWS09/701290318/1001/BUSINESS05

6. MorrisAO

MorrisAO

My machine is a tad too old for Vista.

But even if you do plan to go to Vista it's a good idea to wait for them to iron out any bugs that crop up - and they will despite it 'being out of beta'.

Other than that, I see nothing about it that makes it worth while to upgrade to a memory hog.

7. coderitr

coderitr

Get sued by shareholders? This is going to be Microsoft's albatross. A dedicated video card with at least 256 MB of VRAM is recommended for Aero (the "glass" look and feel) and I think that consumers are going to be very ticked off that the brand new Dell PC they got for Christmas won't run the biggest and best offering from Microsoft. The stock price will fall through the floor and MAC OS's sales will see a tremendous surge. Face it, Microsoft has been pushing and pushing -- consumers (like me) are tired of it.

8. coderitr

coderitr

So are most of the ones that Dell sold last year. See my previous post. Just try and find an off the shelf PC with a dedicated video card. For those of us who build our own, motherboards without integrated video are getting harder and harder to find.

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Checkout the thread I posted in the Vista forum, i.e. the successor OS to Vista is already underway at M$. Its code-name is Vienna formerly aka Blackcomb according to MMJ. The thread is entitled:
    Ballmer: Vista Is Not Microsoft's Last Big Operating System here.

-- Tom

10. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Any decent pc should be able to run vista.

512mb
    1ghz
    128mb (video card)

===

any pc that doesn't have that needs to be upgraded.

the problem is with laptops, 128mb video cards isn't yet the 100% norm.

11. coderitr

coderitr

That's for the stripped down Home Basic version that doesn't come with Aero. Most video integrated motherboards don't have dedicated video memory but instead share memory with the rest of the system. Dell etal don't put high end graphics processors on motherboards in an effort to lower costs. I think your average customer is going to be disappointed when they realize they can't run the biggest and best without spending hundreds more on a PC they just bought a few months ago.

12. coderitr

coderitr

Here's the list of items that don't come with Home Basic -- the only version capable of running on a non-dedicated video processor.

Aero Desktop
    Mobility Center / Tablet PC support
    Windows Meeting Space (Netmeeting)
    Windows Media Center
    Windows Media Center Extensions
    Complete PC Backup and Restore (So I guess you're just SOL if your registry gets damaged)
    Scheduled Backup
    Networking Center / Remote Desktop (because no one would ever want to play games and do work on the same computer)
    Bitlocker Drive Encryption (hey, lets suborn identity theft)
    DVD Maker
    Windows Movie Maker HD

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

13. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

The ultimate version will run on the lower hardware profiles -- it automatically turns off aero and the like if needed based upon your index rating.

Also, many drivers are not updated...and I've only seen about 50-60% on Vista trying the re-install with compatibility changes.

It's just like when XP came out. I suspect we will see a similar result.

14. coderitr

coderitr

And you're okay with that? I'm not and I suspect that many people are going to feel the same way.

XP isn't that much different than Windows 2000 and 98SE rolled into one package.

15. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

Actually, I am. It's a sign of things to come. The consumers are demanding more visually appealing applications, software, and games. And since Vista writes natively to the graphics device, I would prefer to know up front if my system will support it.

Vista is only representative of things to come, not the way they have been. You can't use new MAC OS on an old system for exactly the same reason.

I can see the 2000 XP connection...but 98? Perhaps on the surface...under the hood, they are completely different creatures. :cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice