1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Socket 754/Socket A Different speeds?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbear, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigbear

bigbear Thread Starter

Hello
    Can anyone explain why AMD Sempron cpu's run at different speeds for different socket's.
    2600+ Socket A 1.83ghz, 2600+ Socket 754 1.6ghz.
    Can I safely increase the CPU host frequency, which is set at 200mhz.
    I have played with the setting's in the bios and I can take it to over 2000ghz,
    but I am not sure if this safe.
    The memory installed is showing in bios 513/166mhz DDR333 which is a little odd when I purchased DDR400mhz :confused:
    Thanks for any help

Mobo Asrock K8upgrade-VM800
    CPU AMD Semprom 2600+ Socket 754
    Memory 512mb DDR400mhz

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

Because the Socket754 Sempron is a very different chip and gives you more power per MHz. The Socket754 one is basically an Athlon64, the next generation of chip after the AthlonXP (which is what the SocketA one is).

Your RAM is rated at up to DDR400, but it will run at DDR333 if that's what it is set to. You may be able to increase the speed it runs at in your CMOS setup somewhere, e.g. increase the DDR:FSB ratio to 2.50x or 2.66x.

3. GripS

GripS

Are you running 1x512mb or 2x256mb memory modules? If your running 1 512mb module(double sided) then it should run at 400mhz by default. If running 2 256mb modules(double sided) then you will need to look for a setting in the bios called 'maxmemclock'. At 333mhz this setting should read 166(that should help you find it as different bios's call things differently). It may also be set to 'Auto'. Change this setting to '200' and you should be running at 400mhz when you restart.

4. bigbear

bigbear Thread Starter

The memory is one stick double sided,the fsb of the mobo is 800mhz the only adjustment I can find in bios that seems to increase speed is the cpu host frequency which by default is set at 200 and auto, I can change this to manual and change the frequency by small amounts, say to 240 and this will increases the ghz to 1760 10%.
    I would like know if it is safe to increase the host frequency to gain more speed without any long term damage?
    I haven't found in bios any way of increasing the ram that makes any difference

5. GripS

GripS

Definitely not. That would be overclocking the CPU. I think we should get it running fine at stock before overclocking.

I researched your motherboard manual. There definitely is a memory clock setting there. Here ya go:Enter the Bios. Select the 'Advanced tab'. Select 'CPU configuration'. Change memory clock from 'auto' to '200'.

I'm not a big fan of Asrock and if that doesn't work i'd say it's probably being picky with your choice of ram.

6. bigbear

bigbear Thread Starter

The cpu configuration is set at auto and 200 by default which sets the speed of the cpu to 1600ghz.
    What I was really trying to find out is why the Amd 2600+ socket A CPU has a reading of 1.83ghz when the one I purchased Socket 754 2600+ is 1.6ghz, why the drop in speed?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think Arcadion has already answered that. They are a different generation of chip and use considerably different technologies. For one the 754 uses a HyperTransport bus instead of the traditional Front Side Bus.

Additonally the Sempron is the budget line for AMD whereas the Athlon line is the performance line. Even if you look at the Athlon XP line; the Barton core AMD Athlon XP2500+ will outperform a Thoroughbred Athlon XP 2600+ because its a different generation of chip; its got a faster FSB and more cache.

Pure megahetz/clock Speed has long not been an accurate measure of performance, hence the reason why AMD has been using model numbers since the Pentium 4's came out. Core architure, caches, buses, and about a hundred other things combine to make a processor.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!