1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Socket 939 Mobo or purchase a newer Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Photopilot, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I am trying to put together a Server running for my home.

I have a two computers running socket 939 MOBOS and CPUs. I have enough pieces to put together another computer

CPU
    RAM
    Mobo
    Graphic card

Besides this old gear I have a special server case and RAID card. I tried to get the computer set up a while back and got errors from the MOBO. I made a half attempt to work it out but do not have the time or patience. I figured I would just buy another inexpensive 939 mobo and get it going. Based on the prices I am seeing for this mobo it has turned into a collectors item and worth more now than when they were cutting edge.

Should I just suck it up and pay $150 for a old MOBO or should I upgrade my home theater PC to a newer MOBO, with new Ram and CPU then take that mobo for the Server? That computer runs fine now with a 3800+ CPU, but a newer socket would allow me options for the future without paying a premium for old school technology. If you suggest a newer MOBO, I would appreciate suggestions on which MOBO and CPU for a Micro ATX case good for a HTPC.

BTW I am on the road more than at home so most of my work is done on a newer laptop.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You can do mobo/ 2GB RAM and a X2 AM2 for around $150, I would go that route.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Agreed. Putting much money into an old socket 939 is not worth the effort. You can get a much better system for about the amount you would pay for an old mb.

4. replay

replay

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice