1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

socket a mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vigintitres23, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vigintitres23

vigintitres23 Thread Starter

Anyone know a good socket A motherboard for my old amd k7 slot A style processor? My dad and I built a computer back in 2000 through microchipcomputers.com and it was the greatest thing at the time...(had the agp creative annihilator blaster pro 32 mb <yea i thought it was funny that creative made video.) Anyway I just want to use this as a secondary machine to run windows 98 SE on so that I can use my sidewinder force feedback pro joystick to play mechwarrior 3 and such on it.

The computer has been at my parents house in the computer room being unused since about 2002. I just brought it up to my apartment to play with it about a month ago and it worked when I got it here. The first thing I did was installed a d-link NIC to replace the modem card that it had in it. After this, the mighty annihilator pro ceased to function. The computer powered on but the moniter just showed black with the power light glowing amber. Not to worry, however, I ran to the local chop shop (bobcat laptops) and bought a "new" agp card- it was an nvidia tnt2- for 10$. Installed it. Bingo, bango back to life. About a week later I got the idea to learn linux with Debian. I installed it, and I even loaded the drivers for the tnt2 on it. I'm a total linux newb so this was a big deal to me. A week after this, i go to turn on the machine and, oh no, zero video again. Went and bought ANOTHER agp card thinking the recently purchased 10$ card was a lemon, but still no. Today I bought a 32 mb ati radeon pci card for it. No go.

I do consider myself semi-tech savvy although I just recently started being hardcore about gaining hardware knowledge. The current uncooperative mobo is an EP-K7XA with 128 mb ram and the AMD athalon k7 700mhz slot A cpu. I've already tried replacing the ram with some other sdram i had, unplugging everything and plugging back in. The computer boots up fine so i don't think its the psu (i've had problems with the psu in the dell that i'm typing this on so i think i know signs of psu failure.) The HD is all good since i used that as an external drive for this dell for about a week or so.

I don't need a fancy mobo, just one that will let me load 98 and play some old school games but it has to be a socket A style since i want to keep my k7 cpu.

If anyone has suggestions on how to get video without having to buy a new mobo, feel free to shoot.

2. steven1350

steven1350

3. vigintitres23

vigintitres23 Thread Starter

should have read more before posting, I meant to say that I need a slot A mobo, not socket a....since i have a slot a k7 cpu

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Have you uninstalled the NIC? Sounds like it's conflicting with the AGP slot as the Creative stopped after you installed the NIC.
    You may just need to move it to a different slot. The one it's in may share the same PCI interrupt as the AGP slot.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice