1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sockets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JEBWrench, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JEBWrench

JEBWrench Thread Starter

So, after carefully scouring various websites, I'm starting to think I'm better off upgrading my CPU when I pick up a new motherboard.

What my question is - the chip and boards that are socket 754 are half the price of the 939. How do the performances compare? Obviously the 939s are going to work better, but am I still going to get some bang for my buck from the 754s?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

With Intel's Conroe cpu out now just wait and the 754's and 939's will drop in price.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Socket 754 processors are by gone technology. Socket 939 may be had in a wide variety of speeds, including dual core. They are a much faster processor. And from my experience run cooler as well. I built a 754 for my room mate, a week later I built myself an athlon 64 (939) system. Motherboards from the same manufacturer, my system actually cost less to build than hers did (not including the Hard Drives) Neither one of us are avid gamers.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

AMD just dropped their prices.

In a lot of cases 939's can be had even cheaper than 754's (at least in my town).

Even if you can't wait for Conroe, you can still build a respectable 939/AM2 system pretty cheap.

5. JEBWrench

JEBWrench Thread Starter

The price drop is what's got my attention - for a 939, I'm looking at at least 100 dollars (CDN) for the chip, and another hundred for the board.

The 754, I can get the chip and board for 100 total.

What is the AM2 socket? I'm not familiar with it - where's it fit on AMD's food chain?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

The big difference between AM2 and 939 is that AM2 supports the new DDR2 standard.

Here in Toronto you can scoop up a A64 3500+ AM2 proc for $110 CDN.

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench Thread Starter

Heh. Here down south, people still try to sell Socket 7 processors for more than that. That's why I've got to keep looking online. ;)

Alright, I'm going to see what's available in the AM2 division. Maybe I can find a decent processor I can someday upgrade for not too much.

8. JEBWrench

JEBWrench Thread Starter

Hmm... So I'll also have to upgrade my video card too, but I can get the same processor I wanted in 754 (The Sempron 3000+) for the same price - just around 50 dollars, but I'd be more upgradable in the future...

Unless anyone knows an AM2 board that supports AGP and won't require PCIe.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well a Sempron is a budget CPU, thats why its so cheap. Its like Intel's Celeron. And Athlon64 is a much, much better processor especially in the 939 socket. Its noticeable slower then an Athlon64 3000+ in 754, which is still slower then an Athlon64 3000+ in 939.

There are several problems with the 754 design. First its pretty much obsolete. The memory controller is only single channel versus the dual channel memory controller on the 939 processors. The Sempron runs on a slower bus then the Athlon64's, 1600 versus 2000Mhz. And the L2 cache size is smaller, 256KB versus 512KB or 1024KB per core on the 939 processors. If you every want t dual core processor then with the 754 you are out of lock, they are only made for the 939 and newer sockets. And the 939's run a tad cooler as well. Then there's the motherboards, 939 boards use newer, faster, and better chipsets, they support the new PCi-Express standard for video cards not the now quickly fading AGP standard that is found on most 754 motherboards.

I strongly doubt there'll be a AM2 board with AGP. AGP is histroy, you can buy much cheaper PCI-Express cards that outperform the best AGP cards. AM2 also requires DDR2 so don't plan on re-using that either.

10. JEBWrench

JEBWrench Thread Starter

Ah, it requires new memory as well? I think that's getting out of my budget for this emergency upgrade. ;)

Budget issues are the reason why I'm looking at the 754, and why I'm looking Sempron over Athlon. I'd love to get something I can eventually upgrade, but that's looking like it's not in the question at the moment.

(And it's somewhat urgent. There's only so much I can take of this 233. ;) )

11. steveb1492

steveb1492

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    754 and 939 both use DDR, AM2 requires DDR2.

You won't be able to upgrade the 754 platform. Its going to get harder to get Athlon64 processors for 754 and you won't be able to get anything really fast for it in a year or even less.

Get the 939 platform.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An Asrock board isn't worth getting. They are oddball designs and quality just isn't there.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice