1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Softmaker Free Office 2018 Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jack1000, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

All the reviews say this is the best free Office program out there in terms of light memory usage, compatibility, and speed with MS Office files. If you are looking for a free alternative to MS Office, because your tired of forking over $200 or more for MS Office or paying $100 a year for life for Office 365, you might want to try this program.

What's really nice is that this release gives you what Microsoft doesn't. A CHOICE OF CLASSIC TOOLBAR OR RIBBON INTERFACES! It is really fast! Faster than Open Office or Libre Office. Would like to hear your thoughts on the program:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Jack

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Hummm ???
    Gismo's Review only gives it 3 stars ... and says the free version has limited Features ..
    But Gizmo's review hasn't been updated in 2 years.
    Have you tried it yet ????

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

No,

This is a new version that just came out Mid May 2018. Keeping it in the back of my mind in case I need to get a free Office version.

Jack

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Many free word processors do not integrate well with voice recognition software, so my question is how well does Softmaker Free Office work with Dragon Naturally Speaking?

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Since Softmaker requires a valid email address for a download, which could expose one to spam, I'll pass on this one.

LibreOffice required no personal information.

I still mostly use MS Office 2000 with a compatibility pack, but as MS has recently discontinued the compatibility pack, LibreOffice will likely become my 'go-to'.

6. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Johnny,

That is the one downside. I heard a workaround is to create an email address that you don't really care about and use that for the download of Softmaker Free Office. Some years ago, someone said there was an optional "Speed up your computer" low-grade adware, which was an optional part of the install, but you can just uncheck that. I remember that this person was amazed at the speed and retained conversion of Office files in the program. I talked to people about Libre Office, and they said that it was good, but did not retain compatibility as well as Softmaker Free Office and that Libre Office was "Updating a little too much for their tastes."

I just wish that MS Office could come out with two additions for Office:

1.) A free version of Office with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for Desktops.
    2.) Just as importantly, the option to choose between Classic Toolbars and Ribbon interfaces.

MS Office is priced too highly for home users, and many people are switching because of the Ribbon, and they just feel that with MS Office, they are buying, or in the case of Office 365, renting at $100.year for life, the same program over and over again.

I have Office 2010 on both PC, because I got it from a friend through his company for free. But I don't think it is worth the money that MS charges for it from a home user perspective.

I hear that old Office versions (2000-2003) still work fairly well with the SP-updates and the Compatibility Converter. Except for Outlook. But no one should be using an email program that old anyway.

Jack

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Since I passed on Softmaker, I can't compare.
    Their paid version sounds more interesting than the free one, though. Better dictionary and thesaurus coverage.

I seem to remember MS offering a free version of Works that was similar in scope to Office, supported by ads. Apparently that didn't work out as Works was discontinued.

MS Works 9.0 came with my Lenovo Win7 computer.
    Seemed to work well but the file formats were different to Office file formats.
    Strange, MS still provides a file converter for Works but has withdrawn the file converter for Office 2000.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I Tried the fake email route ... They said the key would be emailed.
    [email protected]0m has my free key now :D

Johnny b likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice