1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

software available for 'scan on demand'?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by klutzycompy, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klutzycompy

klutzycompy Thread Starter

QUESTION:is there a program available anywhere which i could install on my computer (?????)which i could store in the 'open with' file or 'send to ' file(????)(possible?)
    to scan occasional things which i may encounter (occasional downloads or e mails).for viruses,worms,etc.

i am verynew with 'all things computer"..But i understnd that installing full antivirus programs,sometimes causes problems in computer workings...

i have a used Compaq Presario (3 years old)with windows 98,which was installed by my local computer shop.

.I had previously Windows ME on the same computer,but i found that since i was so new to computers,i caused the thing to 'seize up' OFTEN..especially when i downloaded new programs or tried to have more memory installed..,or tried almost any new(to me) application.

if you need any more information on my OS,to answer my question above,i have' belarc advisor ' onboard..even if i do not know what everything in the analysis means,at least i can refer to it if need be

.summary of questions-
    #1.
    ls there anantivirus program available anywhere which can be used for 'as required' applications????:confused:

#2..can i save it in 'send to' or 'open with'?:confused:

#3.how?:confused:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Most Virus checkers do what you want.
    I and many people recommend a free (at the moment) one called AVG. It uses very little resources, scan incoming Mail, files read etc. You can get it to scan all downloaded files and you can right click on a file/folder and get it to scan it.
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice