1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software decode for DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Georgieboi, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Georgieboi

Georgieboi Thread Starter

Hi

Here is my situation. I want to install a Firewire IEEE1394 card so I can upload video from a digital camcorder in order to provide edit functionality. Problem is I have no more PCI slots available. So, I was thinking if I remove the decoder card for the DVD drive and install decoding s/w I would generate an open PCI slot for a Firewire card. I could play DVDs with s/w decoding instead of h/w decoding.

Will this work? I have a Micron 550MHz box w/ 256MB ram 20 GB hd running Win 98SE.

Thanks,
    George :)

2. Borderfox

Borderfox

Can't see any problem in doing that my last pc was P3 500 with s/w decoding of dvd's and no problems with playback, Maybe something to think about if you are upgrading is the Soundblaster Audigy cards have a firewire port built in saving you taking out a card only if you are upgrading though!! :)

3. captainbaldo

captainbaldo

The newer DVD decoder programs work great, and a 550Mhz w/256 RAM should have no problem. The only problem that you MIGHT have is if your DVD drive is really old, but more than likely this wouldn't be a problem. I used PowerDVD on a 600Mhz and had ZERO problems.

--Cap

4. stanggt2

stanggt2

where can I get some dvd software decoder I got a bare drive with no software

5. Georgieboi

Georgieboi Thread Starter

Hi,

I downloaded a trial version of Win DVD and removed the hardware decoder card from my machine. I popped in a DVD and launched the Win DVD app and played the DVD. It performed flawlessly.

So now I have an open PCI slot available for a Firewire port card. The only thing I need to consider is which makes more sense economically -- buy the Firewire card and Win DVD software or replace my SB Live sound card with the new Audigy card that includes a built-in Firewire port?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

George :)

BTW - type in dvd software decode in the keyword field in Google to find dvd decoding s/w.

6. Borderfox

Borderfox

Probably be best to buy the firewire card and Windvd, if you get this I think some come bundled with video software, and if you get the soundblaster you got to get all software....:p

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/69784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice