1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software Distribution Service 3.0 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nabster, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nabster

nabster Thread Starter

My sister whom is in university has a laptop. This laptop is 1.5 years old and has been working perfectly until currently. It seems that while she was sleeping an autimatic update was installed on her computer concerning Software Distribution Service 3.0. This update has dramatically affected the performance of her computer. The computers internet explorer is not working anymore event though she is getting the distribution from the provider even though it was working fine before hand and also the icons are not shown on her desktop. So she asked me to help her fix it. I tried system restore but it wont restore the computer at any points, my suspicion is because it is a Microsoft thing. My sister really needs to have the internet for university and this thing has messed it up. I dont know what to do, but would like some input upon this matter of software didstribution service 3. please reply soon

2. magtech

magtech

go to add remove programs and see if there is an unistall option for the software distribution. make sure you create a restore point before you unistall in case anything drastic happens

3. nabster

nabster Thread Starter

k ill do that

4. nabster

nabster Thread Starter

it doesnt show anything in add or remove programs, but like i said before it is an update from microsft and since her internet isnt working i cant even turn off automatic update unless there is another way to disable it

5. magtech

magtech

When you go into add remove programs make sure the box is checked to show updates and you should be able to see the date installed for all microsoft updates look for yesterdays date and see what was installed and you should be able to uninstall that update

to turn of auto updates go to control panel click on auto updates and turn off auto updates or at least make sure they dont auto install. they should download but not install until you install them

m

6. nabster

nabster Thread Starter

thank u
    i found what was causeing the problem and deleted it

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice