Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

software doesn't recognize video card

817 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mrphster 
#1 ·
I have a Compaq Presario 5240 w/AMD K6 400mhz, 128mb ram. It came with an integral 4mb video processor with software-based 3d accelerator. Because this caused most new games to run very slowly, I recently installed a 32mb Wicked3d Voodoo2 PCI card. The new card shows up on the "device manager" and has up-to-date drivers. The monitor is connected through the new card and functions properly. My system seems to recognize the physical presence of the new card, and the diagnostics check out, but when I try to adjust the settings of my games (like Tropico, Civ III, and Starfleet Command) I get a message that I only have 4mb video memory and only software-based 3d acceleration. What do I have to do to get these games to recognize and use the full capabilities of the new card?

#2 ·
I would disable the onboard video in the BIOS. Tap F10 while the computer starts up and you will get into setup. I don't know exactly where you will see it.

On the other hand you may be able to go into Device Manager and disable the card.

Windows may still see it even after you have uninstalled from the BIOS. Thats because it doesn't ask the BIOS what is in the computer. It checks it out for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.