1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software download problems for Epson Scanner 4180

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Neapolitan, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neapolitan

Neapolitan Thread Starter

Where do I post my detailed question about problems with Epson Scanner 4180 downloaded software? I'm running Windows 8.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why not post your issue here and if needed it can be moved later?

I've also deleted your duplicate. You do not need to post a second time to add to your initial post, you are able to edit the previous post if needed.

3. Neapolitan

Sry for the duplicate. It's been a few years since I contacted you folks, so I'm a bit rusty.

4. Neapolitan

After "repairs" my computer was stripped of all my software programs. I was able to reinstall most. But when I downloaded software for Epson Scam Perfection 4180 from Epson's web site, it will not start. My OS is Windows 7. There were a lot of problems in dowmloading the Epson software, so clearly there are underlying problems. Any suggestions?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which exact Epson software? Have you tried re-downloading it or using a different browser to download the software? Do you by chance have the CD still? The CD usually has more software then is available for download so you may want to use it first.

Is it the "TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.04A" that you downloaded?

Also, when you say it will not start, is that the downloaded installation that won't start or after installing it the software doesn't open?

Also, do you have a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 7?

The file you downloaded will extract the installation to the "C:\EPSON\epson12180" folder according to the instructions, from there you will need to run the actual installation of the drivers and software.

6. Neapolitan

Thanks for the response sent me several days ago. Since that time I was able to find my original Scanner Software DVD for the "Epson Perfection 4180 Photo". However it is for various Windows programs up to XP, and I am running on Windows 7, 64 bit.

So first I went into "Control Panel", and then "Programs & Features", and removed all my previous Epson files. I then disabled my PC Tools spyware options before running the Epson 4180 DVD to install the software.

It took a long time to load, with several hoops to jump through, but eventually it seemed to load OK, and it placed an Epson icon on my screen with my other software programs. I had disconnected my Epson scanner before installing the Epson software from the DVD. I do wonder at how long it took to load that software and how many different window pop-ups I had to click on to get it downloaded.

I decided to shut down and restart my computer, to give the new program a clean start. Before restarting, I reconnected my scanner. After restart, I clicked on my Epson icon and got an Epson menu with several options. I was planning a test copy of the cover of a book I had placed in the scanner. After Epson's very brief shift to a window related to executing my "Copy" command, I got an overriding error message: "Epson scan cannot be started ...... That then segued into a trouble shooting assistant advising me that (1) it was not ready, or (2) another application was using it. Not helpful.

This is so frustrating, to have the software DVD and get nowhere. There was no mention made of what might need to be done to be able to upgrade it to Windows 7. Even more frustrating is that, before my friendly repair man cleaned our all my software programs, this same Epson software worked fine on my Windows 7 computer.

What else might I do? If I should be posting this on the general site, please let me know how to do that. I'm at wits end about this issue.

Neapolitan

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so it sounds the disc is simply too and doesn't support Windows 7, that's understandable as manufacturer's cannot predict or make their software compatible with future operating systems.

So you must download, install, and use the software on the Epson website which is located here: http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore...=41625&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_7-64
    Read any installation instructions carefully, it appears the download extracts the driver & software to the "C:\EPSON\epson12180" folder and from their you need to run the actual installation.

8. Neapolitan

Thanks Triple6,

This finally worked but there were a few hiccups along the way. First, in downloading the software it kept stopping about every 15% or so of completion, But just waiting and doing nothing paid off, as it would then resume the download. Strange, but it eventaully completely downloaded.

The other strange thing is that, when set at Automatic, the copy item scanned fine in the recognition stage, but then stopped after reaching the 2/3 level in the copy stage. i tried it on several cocyments with the same results. So I switched from Automatic to manual, and that worked. I can live with that, but its sure seems a bit sqirrely.

Neopolitan

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well that's good it works.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice