1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software engineer telecommuting?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by MartezJ, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MartezJ

MartezJ Thread Starter

Does anyone know what the options are for telecommuting in the Software Engineering field?

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG!, I hope you find some help and help others when you get the opportunity. Thats how the community works.

Telecommuting happens often especially with Software Engineers. I do it occasionally but I my job requires that I show up at work. Its really on a job by job, company by company basis, no specific answer can be made until you get a job. Then it could be brought up carefully in the interview unless thats the only option.

3. MartezJ

MartezJ Thread Starter

Ah I see, thank you draceplace. I usually focus better alone, do you think that most software engineering jobs will accept telecommuting and reporting to the place of work, every now and then? How often do you telecommute to from home?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's a company by company decision. It also depends on what your professional experience is. If you're right out of college, an employer isn't going to leave you at home all day to do your work. If you've been working professionally for 10 years in a mixed office environment (office and telecommuting) you have more leverage.

5. MartezJ

MartezJ Thread Starter

Oh I see, well coming out of college is it likely that I will be able to telecommute at all? The reason I am asking is because I have a focusing problem and it can be managed when I work alone, in quiet enviorments.

6. draceplace

draceplace

You will be placing a large handicap on yourself if you focus on your 'focusing problem' when trying to get a job. The job market is tough.

Hiring manager: "Let see...do I hire the guy who says he needs to work at home so he can focus or hire this other guy, not quite as qualified, but willing to do whatever it takes".

7. MartezJ

MartezJ Thread Starter

Yeah but I know that some jobs for software engineers are advertised for telecommuting full-time. I don't think an employer will really care if I am knowledgeable and know my stuff, right?

8. ckphilli

ckphilli

As the others have said, it depends on the employer. There is still a stigma (and rightfully so) that people working from home don't really work from home. I say rightfully so, because it's often true. You're going to have to prove yourself regardless. Again I agree that you shouldn't focus on your focusing issues. Just manage it and work, it's that simple.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm guessing you're not in the United States. Jobs here are hard to come by, and applicants are plentiful.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice