1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

software for broadband modem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by drakespeare, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drakespeare

drakespeare Thread Starter

hi please help!have just signed up for broadband with wanadoo and cannot install the software(speedtouch) to operate the modem(adsl)they supplied.
    at the end of the installation process was prompted to insert windows 98 installation disk but could only get 90% of installation before window saying "pathway not found" pops up.only way to exit this seemed to be to select "skip file".
    thought job was done because got the speedtouch icon on my desktop but when i click on it get "could not create entry-"speedtouch connection"".
    i have tried repeating process but when i insert the windows 98 disk i now get "this is an older version of system now operating and setup functionality has been disabled".
    does this mean i am running windows 98 se and have been given windows 98 when i bought the pc?(it was second hand)
    is there any solution other than buying a new windows 98 se disk.
    i should mention i can access the speedtouch connection box by going through programs but doesn`t seem to do anything.is it not installed properly or as wanadoo tell me have i got a problem with my pc.
    please help if you can.many thanks

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

check to see if you have c:\windows\options\cabs on your pc. if you do, use that path in place of the CD during installation.

3. drakespeare

thanks for the help.excuse my ignorance but how do i check to see if i`ve got it and if i have how do i use it?

4. doggard

doggard

If you look in system properties [general page] it will tell you which version is installed i.e. if second edition it will say so followed by 4.10.222 A
    Windows 98 is no longer supplied by MS if you require to purchase a legitamatly licenced copy then somewhere like eBay or a computer fair is probably the only solution availalbe

5. kimmer13

kimmer13

click on MyComputer then on C: then on Windows and see if a folder named Options is listed. if it is, open it and see if there's a folder name Cabs.

If you do have the folder, to use it, uninstall the speedtouch software completely. Restart Windows. Now reinstall the software, and when you get to the point where "Skip File" is an option, there is also a place to type in an alternate path. Type in C:\windows\options\cabs or use the Browse button to locate it that way.

6. drakespeare

no have checked and dont have it .is it possible to download it anywhere?

7. kimmer13

kimmer13

you'd have to know the name of the file it is trying to locate at that point. or borrow a win98se cd from someone......

8. drakespeare

thanks again.have uninstalled and installed again.first get a window saying copying fileswith the destination c:\windows\system\alcan5wn.sys when this fails and i am asked to insert windows 98se disk the file it wants to copy is the one you suggested-c:\windows\options\cabs.
    does this make any difference ? is it possible to download these files?

9. kimmer13

kimmer13

the file name helped. found out the drivers have been updated - go here http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm and download what you need for your OS. You should get what you need there and not need your win cd at all.

10. drakespeare

have downloaded all the updates on the site and still no good!
    anything further to suggest?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice