1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software infringement..how did they find out??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by plucnik, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plucnik

plucnik Thread Starter

A customer I do IT work at received an email from their broadband ISP informing them that a copyright infringement notice was sent to them by the Entertainment Software Association. The notice seems to be a warning to remove the material from the PC, not a lawsuit. The customer has a small network of about 20 PC's that are behind a router firewall script. All of the IP's are public class A. I checked the PC in question and sure enough, the Warez software is there. They even have the name and size of the file. (by the way, this company is 100% legal and doesn't condone this.) My question is, how did they find out? Does the Entertainment Software Association have a monster PC that scans every PC with a public IP for copyrighted material? I thought that the firewall was secure, with a minimum of ports open, but apparently isn't. Thanks for any backgound that can be provided.....a small paste of some of the info is below (with the IP and user name partially XXXX'ed out) :confused:

Last Found: 25 Apr 2004 00:33:46 EDT (GMT -0400)
    >Filesize: 44,032k
    >IP Address: 12.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >IP Port: 3743
    >Network: Undernet
    >Protocol: IRC
    >Username: ADZXDCxxx
    >

2. winchester73

winchester73

3. plucnik

plucnik Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware on WHY they want to find out, I'm more interested in what process they used to scan the computer (or however they might have done it). This file wasn't being swapped as far as we can tell. It was just sitting on the PC and was there for many months.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice