Software installation on drives_ Acer V Nitro VN7-591G

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hoiyuetchau

Hello. I have a Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition laptop.
As the available space on C drive(55GB) is relatively limited, i would like to know how can i manually install software on the D drive(931GB) instead. Given that the C drive is always auto-selected but when I try to download the software on my laptop, there seems no options in choosing another drive for the software installation.
Note: I am a design related subject student, thus I would require sufficient space on the C drive to run the big CAD program files as fast speed as possible during the drawings.

I would say the majority of the software installers do give you the option to select a designated residency for the new software with a default location in the C:\ if you do not bother with it.

However if your D:\ drive is an external device like a USB hard drive the software may not like it and refuse to go there because when the USB is unplugged the system is broken.

The best solution is to upgarde the system hard disk by cloning it to a larger hard disk as a 2.5" internal 4TB is quite affordable now (I recently bought a Seagate 5TB 2.5" USB external hdd) Using a hard disk larger than 2TB may have issue with older Windows so for speed you can fit a 256GB ssd which is the same size as a 2.5" hdd. That will make your CAD lightning fast. The catch is how to clone a system hdd and there are plenty solutions available and most of them are free.

If you go for the bigger hard disk route you need to find out what kind of internal hdd you have got now. My guess is for a 55GB (actually should be 60GB unformatted) it is likely the IDE type. Modern laptop hdd uses mainly Sata interface and you may have a job to get a IDE hard disk larger than 200GB. The hard disk is easily removable item. The IDE interface has two rows of pins but the Sata has no pin. All ssd hard drives use Sata interface. Newer ssd can have M2 or mSata interface.

Supposed to come with a 1TB hard drive, don't know why some one would set C up for just 55GB, there are some programs out there that will resize your partitions. I used one a couple of years ago with no ill effects but it is taking a chance. I think I used Paragon. The task is inherently dangerous, back up your data first just to be safe. Better yet, make an image back up of your entire hard drive.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect C is a 60GB SSD and D is a 1TB HDD. If so C can't be increased in size and the only option would be moving/installing stuff onto D.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online