1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software needed: (a special kind of) online video conferencing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mg_for_jc, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mg_for_jc

mg_for_jc Thread Starter

Hey everyone! Hope I'm posting this in the right forum! In case it isn't, please do excuse my ignorance - this is, after all, my very first post on here.

I'm looking for a very specific kind of online video conferencing software which I couldn't find so far - no matter how hard I looked.

What I need is for 2 users to be able to exchange video and audio information in real time, while MANY passive listeners watch/hear what is being said, without having permission to actually interfere in the conversation.

While there are hundreds of thousands of video-conference programs around, I couldn't find any single one able to accommodate LARGE numbers of "listeners" (up to, I don't know, 100-200 or so). Most of the ones I managed to find accept up to 7 or 15 participants - which actually makes sense, since they do not distinguish between users with a right to talk and those without it.

So to put it this way: what I am trying to achieve needed is more resembling of a TV-station than a traditional video conference.

There are two more things I'd also like, if they were possible:
    - the ability to generate or just to set a unique password to each of those non-participating listeners (kind of important, but in fact, also secondary to the rest, TBH).
    - not requiring those listeners to install any additional HDD-based program to view our "conferences", but instead having them be accessible from most regular browsers (quite unimportant, really).

It being free is NOT a requirement - I wouldn't mind paying good money for something like this, especially if the software happens to be reliable and of high-quality.

Does anyone know of any such software I might use? Pleaaaase! :D

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You would need a ton of bandwidth to accommodate that kind of connection.

We use AT&T for all our conferencing. But that is like a hybrid connection. The voice goes over the telephone lines but the Video goes over the web. We have used this for very large conferences but our company also has a huge amount of Bandwidth.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice