1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software needed so that I can work from home

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rambotrader, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rambotrader

rambotrader Thread Starter

I want to work from home.
    What I need is to be able to use a whiteboard to communicate with clients (real time) as well as a real time audio connection so that I can talk as well as use diagrams to provide solutions. On top of that I need to have an e-commerce package of some sort so that I can bill out my services on a minute basis and get an immediate credit card payment.
    Bandwidth may be an issue.
    Can anyone recommend a package or a wis-bang developer who wants to take on such a project. (y)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what operating system do you have
    ON XP you already have the toos to do
    White Board and audio - its called Netmeeting , goto program files - netmeeting - run conf.exe

otherwise - Skype will do that
    http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2006/12/whiteboarding_with_skype_30_be.html

I dont have a knowledge of a
    So someone else will need to reply to that

3. rambotrader

rambotrader Thread Starter

I have XP.

I have netmeeting. Never used it but heard that bandwidth was a problem. I need a commercial type package as opposed to a handyman tool.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Bandwidth, can be an issue, but i found it is only a problem if you have more that 10 people collabrating over a document
    I have used Netmeeting with other people across Europe, most working from HOME - I worked from home on a 1MB bandwidth line .....
    I used it everyday collabrating on varios applications Powerpoint, Excel, word and also using for training and running applications (web and IM) live on demos etc
    Started using netmeeting in 1999....

for situations where we had more than 10 people we used webex
    http://www.webex.co.uk/lpintl/uk/pr...aq=f&oq=&CMP=CMP=KNC-sem&goid=WebexUK_1011801

In the last consultancy I worked for we used
    http://www.premiereglobal.co.uk/en/conferencing/
    it was very good for allowing anyone access with minimal setup - again used across the globe, with conferences running across States, Europe and India ....

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If I remember correctly Netmeeting uses dynamic UDP ports that change everytime you start the program. Since most people are behind hardware firewalls it would mean that you would have to open a huge range of ports on your router in order to accomodate for all the possible port selections the program may make.

Regards,
    Rollin

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!