1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

software or hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dahunn, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

I have an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI system that some time ago blew the power supply. I had a second video card (NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT) already installed at the time. Upon replacing the power supply the onboard video was not operating. It hasn't been a problem until now.

I'm trying to install a LCD HDTV as my primary monitor and would like to use the DVI output from the ASUS. I'm not getting any signal from it. When I check with the device manager only the NVIDIA is listed. There is a "ASUS Other Devices" named "Enhanced Display Driver Helper Service" with no drivers installed listed.

I'm not sure now if when the power supply blew (yes, the machine was running at the time) that the onboard video was toasted or wether I've got a software problem.

Any ideas?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you look to see if maybe the bios has onboard video shut down by mistake?

3. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

ok....it does look like it was turned off in the bios. now it shows up unidentified in the device driver and when I went to the ASUS website there are five different drivers listed. Mine should be the M2A-VM HDMI. But when I downloaded the driver, the install fails right after startup.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

What operating system and 32 bit or 64 bit?

5. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

I was looking for that....I only see XP Professional listed.

6. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

seems to be 32 bit.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

yeah...referenced microsoft and checked....it is for sure 32 bit.

9. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

downloading now.....will attempt and reply shortly.....thanks for the assist.

10. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

yep....that worked great....sort of. Now I've lost my software for the add on video. The picture that I'm getting from the secondary monitor (which until yesterday was my primary) seems just a quite hazy. I tried to adjust the colors with the ATI software and it's not an available option. I'm sure I just have to find that. I've degaussed the monitor but it's just not crisp. New problems....but hey....both drivers are working!!!!

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

If both show colors that way, perhaps the monitor has had it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice