Software question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kuraden

I just ordered my new rig, and it's shipping now. I was wondering what you all would suggest for AV, AM, and general PC maintenance / security.

I've always used what my friends in the IT lab have recommended, and it's worked well so far, but since I've changed duty stations, Symantec decided to stop working at random (which makes me think it's not as reliable as I'd like), and I'm upgrading to a brand new system, I need to start from scratch in that regard.

I don't mind paying, but subscription fees are the bane of my existence and free is always good, I just haven't been able to find any freeware that's well recommended.

If by saying "general PC maintenance" you mean regisstry cleaning type programs, stay away from them, as we have had numerous cases where these cleaners wrecked the registry so bad that people have to re-install Windows

Since you will be getting a new system that probably runs Windows 10, it has Windows Defender AV built in. If you don't download much, then it is a good choice and guaranteed to work with Win 10. I have had a few attacks to my AV. They are a target because they have high admin rights on a system. Before it's Win 10 re-incarnation, it was called Microsoft Security Essentials, and is considered a so-so AV. But since Win 10, it has improved.

Bear in mind that no antivirus will detect 100% of all virus. If the vendor hasn't encountered that particular virus, then they won't have a signature for it. If you download via P2P like bittorrent, then you should upload the files to virustotal.com and let all it's 40 antivirus engines take a look and then decide whether to keep the download or not. Virus don't have to be exe's. In the past, data files like songfile play lists, PDF's and MS Word doc files have been known to be infected.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online