1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by howard.a.s, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I downloaded and installed two pieces of software, one called ErrorSmart, and the other called Rollback RX.

When performing a spyware/virus scan a day or so ago, Spybot identified ErrorSmart as a threat and asked to remove it.

Can anyone here tell me whether ErrorSmart is regarded as a sound piece of software?

Moving on to Rollback RX. A while back I had some problems after suffering a virus attack on my PC. I used Rollback RX to recover to an earlier time that day, and before the virus attack.

After successfully restoring to the selected earlier time, the PC continued to run just fine for a few hours, before developing the same type of problems that were experienced after the original attack. It was as if, after Rollback and restore, the clock just ticked away the minutes between beginning and end of the rollback period and then re-launched the same problems all over again, a bit like like taking the arm off of a vinyl record just before it reaches a bad scratch, and then placing the arm back on the record near the beginning - I mean, eventually it's just going to arrive back at the bad part of the record again, or, in this case of my PC, the same point in time where the original problem kicked-in.

So, my question here must be, does anyone have any experience of either of these two softwares and whether they are generally regarded as useful, or not. I mean, they both came with glowing reports.

Oh, one other thing. Before installation of Rollback, I had to decompress my hard drive. Now it could just be a co-incidence, but since that time I seem to have had nothing but problems with speed and performance. So, is it advantageous to have a compressed drive, or not?

Any thoughts on either/both issues would be gratefully received.

2. jshumat0

jshumat0

As far as your problems with ErrorSmart, I am not very familiar with the software. However, I would like to offer some words of advice concerning some things that I have seen online concerning the software. Although the software claims to improve performance, I generally consider it a policy of my own to pay these types of software no attention. Adding utilities such as ErrorSmart to your computer many times means adding additional processes to your computer. These processes can be intrusive to software on your computer as well. This could be the reason that it is considered to be adware. The label of adware is given to software sometimes even if it is not an immediate threat. The software could merely be deemed as unnecessary. This could mean that the software would be "dead-weight" to your system resources. As far as maximizing performance, I usually try to keep it as simple as possible. Keep your hard drive defragged and try to have as little startup software as possible. This is software that automatically loads when your computer is booted. While some software may benefit from running at startup, this is not necessary a lot of the time. One last thing, try to keep as few cookies on your computer as possible. Cookies stored by your internet browsers can be tracking cookies which are considered to be threats to your system and perhaps its performance. As far as rollback, I am not familiar at all with that type of utility. I apologize. Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice