1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software recommendation needed, to recover almost all the files on a hard drive.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Glace, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Glace

Glace Thread Starter

My 500 GB NTFS hard drive running windows vista DELETED all it's files except some of the most basic windows ones that where in use at the time.

This happened because I put the wrong setting into a program I was running, I now cannot boot up in vista, and I'm running Ubuntu from another hard drive in the same computer.

I have not used the HDD since this happened to avoid overwriting the deleted files, and I'm looking for a way to get to get all those 450 GB worth of files back!

Do you know of any software (freeware if possible) that can help me?

2. hrlow2

hrlow2

Try FreeUnDelete or Recuva.

3. Glace

Glace Thread Starter

I cannot use either of those because like I said, I cannot boot off the damaged hard drive, the one running vista.

4. neo-ruminate

neo-ruminate

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I've seen this costware work when others wouldn't ... http://www.runtime.org/
    The trial will read the HD .. but you have to purchase it to fetch the data.

Not sure if any of these work in Ubuntu ..
    How about installing Vista in the Ubuntu HD .. then reading the other drive ??

6. Glace

Glace Thread Starter

Yeah after installing windows on my other drive i was able to recover it all with a prog called 'freeundelete'. thanks for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice