1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software Requires Excel 2003??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dance mom, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dance mom

Dance mom Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I'm attempting to open a file for my daughter who is in college. She has a project that has been saved as a MS Excel Worksheet. She has Excel 2007 and can't open it. So I tried with my Excel 2002 and also can't open it. When I try to open it I get an error message that says: "Software Requires Excel 2003, Action cancelled" and then the whole thing closes.

I tried downloading and using the Excel 2003 Viewer, however the file appears and asks the user (this is from the writer of the document)"set macro security to LOW and restart".

There is no option in the viewer to change security levels and I don't think she could actually DO the project with the viewer. I changed the security level in my 2002 program--which didn't seem like a good idea, but I scanned the files and they are clean. --just invisible!

Anyways, we can't figure out how to open it and buying a copy of a 5 year old program doesn't seem like the correct solution. She's says her professor is not very tech savvy and hasn't offered any help other than to try a different computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks!
    Dance Mom

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

If you want to email me via my profile and can send the file to me, I will open it in 2003 and save it as a 97 version. I would guess that would help, and you should be able to open a 97 file.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. Dance mom

Dance mom Thread Starter

Thanks to you both. I'll try Slurpee55's solution first and go from there.

Shouldn't any newer version of Excel open an older version?

Thanks again,
    DanceMom

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yes, it should, except if those have been blocked by the most recent XP update - it blocked a lot of older file formats for security reasons, including those for Office products.

6. Dance mom

Dance mom Thread Starter

I have to wonder if anyone else in her class is having the same problem...

7. Dance mom

Dance mom Thread Starter

Elvandil,

I tried the update to the viewer. Still doesn't work. It opens what looks like a title page, but then I can't get anywhere from there. And I get that same error message about needing 2003. I'm looking for the other program you mention, but can't seem to find it. Is it part of MS office?

Thanks!

8. exegete

exegete

Howdy. You can download OpenOffice here. It is an open source alternative to Microsoft Office.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice