Software to backup and restore the hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jerrykobes

I would like to backup the hard drive on my laptop to dvd before I reformat it to reinstall the OS. I was wondering if there is any program that can backup my hard drive to DVDs and then later restore a bootable hard drive on its own. I don't want something that requires an OS pre-installed to do a restore (just in case my installation fails). I would prefer something that I can just boot off of that doesn't require an OS to restore the computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry

Acronis, GHOST and a host of others. You seem to be mixing the terms for restoring files and imaging a hard drive.

jerrykobes

Sorry. Whats the difference between imaging and restoring?

...NEVERMIND. That was a dumb question. I got the awnser already.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Backup Applications For All Seasons:

For boot image backups, Acronis True Image, available at NewEgg for $30 downloaded, search for Acronis.

For file backups, Cobian Backup, available free from the author's site.

For synchronizing folders and even whole data drives, Beyond Compare

For synchronizing backup folders, SyncToy, available free from Microsoft.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online