1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

software to burn photos to cd/dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by mjc1313, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjc1313

mjc1313 Thread Starter

How do you transfer photo files to a cd/dvd disk?
    Is there a software program needed?

I don't want a backup as much as I want a slide show or presentation.

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

I like Picasa 2.0--and its free and easy to run. Some people like Irfan.

3. slipe

slipe

Irfanview doesn’t have the capability to burn a slideshow without CD writing software but Picasa does. It would be your best choice.

About the only reason I would burn a slideshow would be to send to someone not very computer literate to watch on their computer. Picasa’s “gift CD” would be perfect for that.

If you want a slideshow to run on your TV DVD player there is usually a completely different approach required. And there are better ways to view it on your own computer IMO.

4. hansmax

hansmax

If you want to view it on your TV, and you want to have control of a lot of options, you will probably be better off buying software. There isn't much good free stuff for this purpose out there, other than trials. I downloaded trial versions of ProShow Gold and Ulead. I finally went with ProShow, although it costs ($69.99). I didn't like the interface with Ulead, and it doesn't do as much as ProShow, but you can get it in the $30 to $50 range. No deals on ProShow, unfortunately, you can only get it from them. Another route to go is spend an extra $10 and buy Nero 7.0 (the whole big media thing from them). It also has a utility for TV slide shows. My brother-in-law likes his. I like my ProShow, but the price hurt. One word of warning: download the trial versions (there are many) and burn test disks. There seems to be quite a variation in the sharpness on TV of the final product. I did trials of some of the lesser known (i.e., cheaper) ones about a year ago, and some really looked like crap. Good luck, it's a lot of fun, and the finished product will be enjoyed by many people other than yourself. People who are less computer literate think they are miraculously cool as gifts. If only they knew.

5. hansmax

hansmax

If you don't care about control (over times, transitions, captions,etc.), just burn your jpegs to a CD and put them in your DVD player (if it's compatible, and most of the newer (2 yrs.) ones are. You will have a slideshow of sorts. Just don't bury the files in folders, as the DVD players don't like to drill down much.

6. hansmax

hansmax

Sorry to hog the space here, but one more thing: Somewhere in the last month or two PC Magazine did a review of the top 4 or 5 standalone programs for TV slideshows (including Ulead and Proshow). You may find it enlightening. I find you have to take some of their opinions with a grain of salt, but in this case it helped me.

7. mjc1313

mjc1313 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. This clears it up alot.
    Mike

8. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

9. hansmax

hansmax

With Photostory, though, you need to download a $19.95 plugin to burn DVDs.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/418459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice