Software to edit PDF

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I scan a lot of paper receipts and other paper documents into PDF format. I normally use Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and another program that came with my Neat Desk sheet-feed scanner. Today, I learned that Acrobat Pro 2020 will allow editing of scanned documents. I have found a copy of 2020 for $299 but want to know if there is a cheaper alternative.

I am not interested in an on-line editor. I want something that I can install on my computer and that runs without an internet connection.

To be clear, I want to be able to edit documents scanned from paper to PDF.

So, anyone know of such?

crjdriver

I use master pdf editor however this is a linux program. It is free so if you run linux, you can install it and see if it does the job. Like most pdf editors, sometimes the formatting is not quite correct.

Johnny b

John
Master PDF Editor 5

I've tried the free Linux version that leaves a watermark.
There is a retail version for $69.95, no watermark.

https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/

IMO, worth a look.

On a Puppy Linux platform it seemed OK, but almost all of my pdf documents are on a Win7 platform and I use Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 because....I've had it for a long time and it does all I need.

Johnny b

John
I use master pdf editor however this is a linux program. It is free so if you run linux, you can install it and see if it does the job. Like most pdf editors, sometimes the formatting is not quite correct.

LOL!

You beat me to it :D

It does seem pretty good.

Couriant

James
Microsoft Word seems to have a converter from PDF to Word but formatting may be lost, as does any other software.

FYI Adobe Acrobat DC is free to download if you have a subscription. Though you would need internet connection just to sign in to confirm your subscription and that's it.

Fox-it Pro should also work but that cost $150 plus another $40 for an optional 'upgrade insurance' which was selected... Adobe's subscription will give you upgrades at no additional cost. When I click on buy to see the price for FoxIt it took me straight to my personal details and bypassed review order so if anyone didn't know would have purchase the upgrade without knowing.

Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the suggestion but I am a lowly Windows guy. I tried Linux several times many years ago but the combination of business and lack of a mentor, I gave up every time.

But if what I'm hearing about W11 turns out to be true, I'll be switching to Linux or Mac when W10 no longer meets my needs -- if I live that long.

Alex Ethridge

Microsoft Word seems to have a converter from PDF to Word but formatting may be lost, as does any other software.
I'm sure that would require a later edition of Word than my 2003. I save my documents all in RTF format. I'm sure that would require a much later edition (Software Rental).

FYI Adobe Acrobat DC is free to download if you have a subscription. Though you would need internet connection just to sign in to confirm your subscription and that's it.
I'm avoiding software rental for as long as I can. If I can't find an alternative, I'll be buying Acrobat 2020.

Acrobat Pro 9 has served me well for twelve years (no rental fees). If I had rented it for that long, it would have been about $1400 so I guess you can see why I am against rent.

Fox-it Pro should also work but that cost $150 plus another $40 for an optional 'upgrade insurance' which was selected... Adobe's subscription will give you upgrades at no additional cost. When I click on buy to see the price for FoxIt it took me straight to my personal details and bypassed review order so if anyone didn't know would have purchase the upgrade without knowing.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Fox-it Pro should also work but that cost $150 plus another $40 for an optional 'upgrade insurance' which was selected... Adobe's subscription will give you upgrades at no additional cost.
I just want to add: if OCR is a factor with editing documents, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC works far better than Foxit. We purchased Foxit for our legal secretaries with an eye on costs, but the OCR engine just wasn't up to scratch and we transitioned them to Adobe. It pains me to recommend Adobe, but facts are facts :sneaky:

Alex Ethridge

I just want to add: if OCR is a factor with editing documents, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC works far better than Foxit. We purchased Foxit for our legal secretaries with an eye on costs, but the OCR engine just wasn't up to scratch and we transitioned them to Adobe. It pains me to recommend Adobe, but facts are facts :sneaky:
Yes, it is a factor. It is the reason I am considering switching from Acrobat Pro 9.

crjdriver

Win 11 is not really all that much different. I have it on my test machine; I go back and forth between my personal system with win10 and the test machine with win 11. A few things are in different places however just type what you are looking for into the search box and it takes you right to that utility, setting or whatever.

Couriant

James
Win 11 is not really all that much different. I have it on my test machine; I go back and forth between my personal system with win10 and the test machine with win 11. A few things are in different places however just type what you are looking for into the search box and it takes you right to that utility, setting or whatever.
Wrong thread CRJ? :)

Couriant

James
Yes, it is a factor. It is the reason I am considering switching from Acrobat Pro 9.
Some times it pays to have software you know it will work and not the imitations. At least with a sub you can stop it to save money then start it again when you really need it. Having said that the $15mo price is with an annual commitment... Per month with no commitment is $25.. but you will always be updated and can use on 2 consecutive machines.

Actually Adobe's online service is really good. I had to use that to edit a document that Acrobat DC couldn't do lol go figure.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Actually Adobe's online service is really good. I had to use that to edit a document that Acrobat DC couldn't do lol go figure.
You must be that rare unicorn in the Adobe world, James 😂

I'm glad it worked out for you, since my own experiences - and those of others I've read about - have been underwhelming to say the least.

Couriant

James
You must be that rare unicorn in the Adobe world, James 😂

I'm glad it worked out for you, since my own experiences - and those of others I've read about - have been underwhelming to say the least.
What's weird is that it was a PDF made by Adobe LiveCycle... but Acrobat DC didn't want to edit it... and LiveCycle is an enterprise behemoth of making specialized PDFs from what I know... yet online allowed me to edit the text box haha. there are limitations for sure, but you do get DC offline as part of the sub so i guess it's a preference for most IT savvy people.

Alex Ethridge

PDF Studio looks promising. I'm gonna' wait til I accumulate a stack of docs to scan then install the trial and see how it works out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online