1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software to recover files from broken HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JayCee6828, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JayCee6828

JayCee6828 Thread Starter

I have recently suffered a crash of my external 1Tb Western Digital hard drive.

The local computer firm said it was not recoverable but as I had over 300Gb of mp3 and jpegs on it I thought I would plug it in and see.

After a short while looking my computer found the drive again and I transfered about 200Gb to mine and my wife's internal hard drives.

Now it has stopped working again and shows up in my computer as Local disk - Unlabeled volume 2.

Can you recommend any software that might give me a chance of recovering the other 100Gb - it doesn't have to be free software as I am happy to pay for it if it is gauranteed to work.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3583 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305141 MB, Free - 106174 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, N68C-S UCC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

boot the system to Puppy it MAY just see the data for you

http://forums.techguy.org/8478763-post6.html

if that does not work when you reply I will offer a couple of other suggestions

BEFORE YOU TRY PUPPY - try booting SAFE MODE see if sees the drive any differently

3. JayCee6828

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tried safe mode but although it saw the drive it was the same as before showing - Local disk - Unlabeled volume 2

I then installed Puppy but yet again although it saw the drive it wouldn't read it just showed a box in red full of error messages.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

4. Macboatmaster

Go Disk Management and see if in there a drive letter is allocated to the drive, unless of course one is shown on Computer
    See if a chkdsk /r will run on the drive

I am doubtful of the chance of success
    Professional recovery would very likely succeed, but the data would have be very valuable in either money terms or great sentimentality terms to justify it

MAY just NOT be the drive itself, may be the connection to the drive inside the case.
    See what a chkdsk reports

also try this
    http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva/using-recuva/recovering-files-from-damaged-or-reformatted-disks

5. JayCee6828

I ran chkdsk /r with the following result :
    Type of file system is NTFS - Cannot lock current drive

In disk management, the actual disk management window will not open unless I first disconnect the usb cable of the disk

6. Macboatmaster

disk management is - start button (windows button)
    right click computer click manage
    then on left pane click disk management

re chkdsk did it in fact say this

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n"

If so then type Y

Try Recuva on my last

7. JayCee6828

I have tried Recuva with no success and chkdsk after saying it cannot access the disk just locks up.

I have also tried EaseUS to no avail.

Yesterday the drive did once again appear as an unlabelled drive in my computer and I was able to take a few more files from it before it all locked up again.

This morning it actually appeared in my computer with it's correct name of 'Files' and I managed to get another 20 or so files from it.

All these things tell me that the data is still there so I am now considering taking it out of the caddy and connecting direct to my computer, my question is will it be OK to use the CD Rom connecting cables on the drive instead?

8. JayCee6828

Re connecting directly to my computer, I find I cannot do this as I don't have the correct cables to do so, it doesn't seem to be a normal SATA connector on the drive.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

What does that connector look like?

TESTDISK(Dos or Linux) is the tool for recovering disks and data.

10. JayCee6828

Thanks Dave, I have discovered it is a SATA connector and have ordered one.

Will have a look for TESTDISK but not realy au fait with running DOS programs, could try it on Linux though.

11. DaveBurnett

12. JayCee6828

Thanks Dave,
    I have downloaded and tried it.
    It found the directories I was looking for on the failed disk but seemed to lock up when I asked it to copy them.

Will give it another go when I have more time.

13. DaveBurnett

You must copy them to a different device or you will really screw the disk up !!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice