Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Software to save essentials then wipe hard drive?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  VACUUMM 
#1 ·
My computer has been running much less than ideal. Plus I don't have a ton of space on the hard drive, and often find myself having to delete stuff I never use to create space. I figure the best thing to do would be to save my essential stuff, and start clean.

Things I would like to keep would be most of my operating system, music, pictures, videos, documents, and firefox settings, saved passwords, bookmarks, etc... Is there software that makes this process easy to save this stuff, then wipe everything else clean? Also potentially have a chance to restore if i dont like the result of the wipe, but ultimately delete everything completely if I choose to do so? If so, what software is recommended? Thank you.

#4 ·
So if I were to backup the important files to me, I know where most would be located. What about firefox saved passwords, bookmarks, etc...?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N660 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3834 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 289782 MB, Free - 12654 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, JE51_DN
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Disabled

#7 ·
Things I would like to keep would be most of my operating system, music, pictures, videos, documents, and firefox settings, saved passwords, bookmarks, etc...
Hard Drives: C: Total - 289782 MB, Free - 12654 MB
You appear to have over 250 GB of personal data in that computer, so an external USB hard drive should be one of your reliable backups.

At least 2 reliable backup copies is recommended.

-----------------------------------------------------------

#11 ·

Attachments

#13 ·
Hello Stealthz

Case A: If you don't plan to install a fresh OS:

To recover :Recover my files pro 4.9.4
Or
R-Studio5.4.134259 Network edition
Or
Easy Recovery Professional v6.22

Avoid to install any new program on hard before recovering.
Each time try to recover one or two types of files .
Some files can recover more successful than others ,for example AVI can recover better than mov.

Before starting READ their manual very carefully.

2-Save recovered files on an external hard.

3-after these all,install "Acronis PC Backup & Recovery 2013 "It is a highly recommended program,read its manual first.

4-Make a fully back up from installed OS and other Partitions as well,save them in an external hard unless your computer cannot boot from an external source (See its Boot abilities),in this case keep the backup of partition C on your hard but in an individual partition for example E.

5-Now you can work on your computer safely.
Try to make more free space on partition C(at least %50 free space),more free space on the partition C=more speed.
You may need to use some partition utility programs such as "Partition magic"(Newer than V 8.5) or "Partition wizard 2013".by
this second one test your hard surface if it has bad sectors and fix them.

6-Update all of your drivers (then create another backup from partition C).

7-Try to shift installed program from partition C to another partition for example D ( if there is) this is not recommended if you plan to install plug-in on a specific program after installing it.

8-Defragment the partition C regularly.

9-Defragment the registry and use a good utility to keep it healthy
-registry first aid or Uniblue registry scanner are some good examples.
you should make a back up from your registry first.
START MENU>RUN>type" Regedit" press Enter
Choose Export to save a copy of it.

10-some utilities can make your computer faster,don't try them unless you can be sure of their results,sometimes they damage installed programs.
You can Use the Windows tools or "Uniblue" products to defragment your partition(not registry)
Right Click on partition>properties>Tools>"Defragment Now...".
before this try to free your ram for example turn off Anti Virus.

11-Use NOD or something like that as antivirus ,other programs may make your computer very slow.

12-Move all of your data on an external hard.Keep it ready .a good idea is installing an external hard to the network to share it.

CASE 2:If you plan to install a fresh OS

#14 ·
Not sure what you are talking about Vacuumm, the O/P does not need to recover any data, he just wants to backup the data he has.

Also, I'd advise against the use of registry cleaners or PC optimizers as do most of the experienced members of the forums; these apps can cause more damage than good. Oddly step 9 and 10 contradict each other.

#15 ·
Hi Triple6
OK.sorry for any mistake.

About step 9 and 10;
I have used these registry programs from more than 10 years a go. "Uniblue" had certification from Microsoft."RegistryFirstAid" and "Uniblue" are really different
I consider you as my master of course and
I agree many of those programs really damage the registry,So having a good one can be helpful.
step 9 explains how to create a backup manually if these programs or any other program damage the registry,these two programs each time however create a full or partial back-up automatically before any action to recover.Although these programs are the best but there is no guarantee as usual.

About Recovery part:
The recovery part refers to recovering any deleted partition or data during working on hard (as a basic knowledge). As you know no one is safe from bad chance!
When a user wants to recover a partition for example C,theses programs FIRST delete all data on the partition then starts to install from back-up,So it is very important to check the validity of back-up before starting to recover it ,if a back-up specially a highly -compressed one damages,and the user starts to recover it then they will have nothing to fix this problem:a deleted partition +a damaged backup of it .
Other steps help make the programs faster,because having a slow running is the main problem to fix ,generally.
By the way "Acronis" has a powerful feature which the user will be able to add new data to the last compressed back-up instead of making a new fully back-up again.
It can:
back up(Partition/files)
AND
recovers whole disks and partitions and/or recover chosen files and folders to original location or new one and helps recover the situation of programs.
It can clone disk(copy partition s from one disk to another),and has secure data destruction on the hard plus a powerful file shredder.By setting it's nonstop backup active,changes to the selected partitions will be backed up every 5 minutes.
It provides boot-able rescue media,and you can active it's start-up recovery manager to recover even your computer's OS and programs from a backup.

Sorry again Sir ;)
Best

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.