1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Software won't install on XP - "internal error"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nfagan, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nfagan

nfagan Thread Starter

I'm trying to help my grandma out - she bought a Hewlett Packard about 18 months ago - of course, right after the warranty expired the HD took a dump. I replaced it, loaded the operating system (XP Home) off of HP's restore CD's. I've tried to load MS Office, MS Works, and software from her ISP, and nothing will install. It gives an "internal error" and closes the installation window. Windows is registered by the way, not that it should matter.

Is there a setting somewhere that won't allow new software? Or do I just need to dump it again and reload?

ANY suggestions are welcome...

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Something like that should not happen on a clean install. Windows installer errors are difficult enough to deal with, but not having an XP CD which contains some support tools makes it even harder.

I would try Method 1 in this article (Method 2 won't apply to XP), if that doesn't help then try a completely clean installation again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q315346

By the way, does a number come with that "Internal Error"? Some of them have specific resolutions.

http://www.google.com/search?q="int...taller&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

3. nfagan

nfagan Thread Starter

Unfortunately, it doesn't give a number regardless of what I try to install, just that there's been an "internal error" and the installation is cancelled.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In theory the "internal error" message is supposed to refer to some problem with the execution of the installation routine itself, provided by the sofware vendor, rather than, strictly speaking, the Windows installer. This happens most often when previous installations exist on the computer and are interferring with the present installation.

That's what makes the issue with the clean install rather puzzling.

It almost sounds as if something is corrupting the source. If the computer has more than one ROM drive, you can try installing from the other. Usually installs can be made equally well from a DVD ROM as a CD-ROM. Alternately you can try copying setup files to the hard drive and running the setup from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice