Soldering Copper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackrabbit

Can anyone (Moderator) tell me if it is ok to post a question that is work related? I'm a self employed plumber and builder with a job related question. I have searched Goggle and found no answer, hoping someone here may have knowledge of my need.
Figured I'd ask first so as not to upset anyone. If need be I can use email for the question if need be.
Thanks,
Jack:confused:

cybertech

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure why you posted this in the Do It Yourself Projects forum, but go ahead and ask your question. If it seems inappropriate I'll let you know. If I'm not sure I'll ask the other mods/admins.

:) Hello jackrabbit.

I'm not a moderator, but there should not be a problem posting a work related question. The only question would be which forum would best suit the question. I suggest posting it here, as I'm sure a Mod will move it if the need arises.

Kilowatt

jackrabbit

OK, I have a job comming up where I have to form, break, install, and solder copper parapet wall caps. I can solder copper drains or supply lines, but that is all hidden in walls. This copper will be exposed and everyone will see it so I can not discolor it or distort the shape (which a torch may do) I'm thinking you need to use a soldering iron and thiner than normal solder. Then there is the problem of cleaning and fluxing, you realy do not want to sand outside of the overlaped joints or you will see the scratches.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Sounds like a good question. Perhaps changing your thread title will get more response. You can PM me if you want to do that.

Good luck on the job! :eek:

jackrabbit

By the way I posted it here because I saw someone asking for help on repairing a rotted garage door and figured if I (A building contractor) look through here to see if I can offer my knowledge to others, then mabe others look here too. If people need answers to small home project problems, I would gladly give my best advise and help if I could.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Click on my user name and and select send a private message.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
jackrabbit said:
By the way I posted it here because I saw someone asking for help on repairing a rotted garage door and figured if I (A building contractor) look through here to see if I can offer my knowledge to others, then mabe others look here too. If people need answers to small home project problems, I would gladly give my best advise and help if I could.
All of that is fine as long as you follow the forum rules.

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

Howdy folks...

jackrabbit...

I've never done this but from what you posted and all the info I can find is that it should be copper welded since it's going to be seen, led solder will blacken with age, and might be unsightly...

Here are some procedures for copper welding...

http://www.brazing.com/techguide/procedures/copper_welding.asp

Also from what I understand if you use lead solder you will need a high wattage iron possibly something like this...

http://www.coppercaps.com/solderingtorch.htm

I'm assuming you will be using copper sheets since you will be breaking and forming the caps, and not using preformed caps, what I would do isexperiment with some scrap peices to get a good temp that will solder with out any discoloration...

Also can you check with the manufacture of the copper sheets to get their input ?

JMO...

jackrabbit

That second link you gave me looks promising, will check it out. Most places I get sheet copper from do not know much about anything but the price. I may check out a place called Arcet, they sell and maintain welders and sell welding and brazing equipment and supplies,

Ok...

Most places I get sheet copper from do not know much about anything but the price.
Ain't that the truth :D...

Let us know waht you come up with with Arcet, I'd be interested to know...

I've never done what you are attempting, the closest I came was putting on a copper roof, and with that we drilled holes and used copper nails ( like putting on a tin roof )...

:) Here is a link that might give a little insight and ideas. It doesn't mention soldering techniques specifically but it does go into details about installing various types of copper copings and parapets.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

jackrabbit

I belive I'll invest some money in a soldering iron, I just tried my acetylene torch turned down low, solders good, but leaves too many burn marks and discoloration. Found some 16 oz copper plates I use for roof flashing, I'll practice on those, if it do'nt work, I'll sub it out.:D

jackrabbit said:
I belive I'll invest some money in a soldering iron, I just tried my acetylene torch turned down low, solders good, but leaves too many burn marks and discoloration. Found some 16 oz copper plates I use for roof flashing, I'll practice on those, if it do'nt work, I'll sub it out.:D

Hmmm...

Don't know if you tried it but I read somewhere ( in researching this ) that a 50/50 mixture of acetylene and air should be used, don't know how you have your torch setup...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online