Solid State Harddrive to USB Adapter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dx25630

Hello,

I have a solid state hard-drive from one of my old laptops and im trying to move the files to my new laptop via usb. The adapters I purchased and tried haven't worked even though I believed them to be compatible. My current laptop is a Lenovo with Windows 10 installed and my hard-drive information is attached int he picture below. If someone could assist me with the correct adapter/product to use id be very grateful!20211102_212433.jpg20211102_212422.jpg

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Can you submit a more closeup and more clearer image of the bottom half of that drive like you did with the top half of it?

From what I can see in your second image which shows the entire drive, parts of the bottom half of it look rusty.

Make sure the 3 rows of pins are included in the image so we can see what shape they're in.

-------------------------------------------------

dx25630

Sorry about the fuzzy image, this should be better! Previous laptop this hard-drive was in was only about 2 years old.image-9311034b-4d0c-42e5-8f3a-6f9f740c49ab.jpg

Couriant

James
This is a PCI-E M.2 2280 drive. Something like this should work, but in my experience I have found it hard to find a good one.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks for submitting that new image.
The first image made that M.2 PCIe SSD appear to be rusty in places.

I'm not familiar with USB adapters for those types of drives, so I'll leave you with James.
(y)

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

dx25630

Ill give this one a try and ill provide an update in this chat. Sounds good, thank you!

This is a PCI-E M.2 2280 drive. Something like this should work, but in my experience I have found it hard to find a good one.
That is a SATA M.2 to USB Adapter.

"Support SATA-bus M.2 2280 / 2260 / 2242 / 2230 SSD with key B or key B+M Only
Only fit for SATA-bus NGFF M.2 SSD with Key B/B+M,
Can't fit for PCIe NVMe/PCIe AHCI NGFF M.2 SSD with Key M,"

His M.2 will fit because it is B+M key (which refers to the two notches on the connector), but it will not work because it is PCIe not SATA.

He needs an NVME M.2 to USB Adapter that will take a B+M key M.2 (not just an M key one, which is what most NVME M.2s are, as it allows for PCIe x4 speeds; B+M key is limited to PCIe x2 speed)

Most NVME M.2 to USB adapters will advertise themselves as M-key only. I would think this drive would still work as it can fit an M-key slot, but I have never tested it, so I am not sure.

I would recommend trying the following, which can handle SATA and NVME, M and B+M key drives:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Type-C-Tool-Free-Enclosure-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y

but it is USB-C only. If he does not have USB-C ports, he will also need a USB-C to USB Type A cable/adapter, like so:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Adapter-Charger-Cable/dp/B01GGKYR2O/

because that M.2 adapter does not come with one.

dx25630

Got it, thank you for clearing that up. Ill try the enclosure above and see what the results are. My laptop does have usb-c connection so this should work fine as is!

The drive could be bad.

Was it the boot drive for your old laptop? Does your old laptop still boot with that drive in it?
If it does, connect an external drive to that laptop, and move the files you need that way.

What OS was on this old laptop? If it was Linux, for example, Windows would not be able to read the drive.

What is showing in Device Manager and Disk Management when you plug the drive in?
Give screenshots, if you can.

dx25630

im thinking the same unfortunately :/ but still have some hope

this was the SSd for my old laptop. The old laptop was being used one day as normal and then went black and was unable to turn back on, wouldnt charge at all with no indication. It has since been discarded and the SSD and RAM were kept aside. The previous laptop had windows 10 installed, my current computers do as well.

Once plugged in, the device will show powered but not sending information to the computer.

The snip below is the only error message im getting.
1638630656349.png
shows no memory being used in the properties tab either
1638630987391.png

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online