1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solitaire, Hearts, Minesweeper...

Discussion in 'Games' started by CosmosGirl, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CosmosGirl

CosmosGirl Thread Starter

:eek: I have Win XP. Solitaire,Hearts, etc. came with the pc. Husband was wanting to play solitaire but recently discovered it is no longer in pc. Have run searches...nothing comes up at all. Is there a way to download the games from a MS website or other site that is free, doesn't require you to be online and provides you with the full game...not partial or trial size...thanks in advance.

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

this may be what you are looking for. the last time i used it. after a little while it asks you to buy the 'full feature' program. just click no. you still play the games, but without the advance features.

http://www.123freesolitaire.com/features.htm

looking at it further. the FREE only gives you 12 games. the FULL gives you 424 games.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is probably still there, but searching for "solitaire" would not find it.

The file is sol.exe, and it should be in C:\Windows\System32

4. CosmosGirl

Thanks...I tried searching for "sol.exe." in win\system32...nothing comes up. Any other suggestions. System restore?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Go to Control Panel > Add-Remove Programs. On the left, click Add/Remove Windows Components. With Accessories and Utilities hightlighted, click Details. If the checkbox for Games is unchecked, check it and it should come back (requires windows XP cd). If it is still checked, uncheck it, close it down by clicking ok. Then click Next. It will *remove* games from the system. When it's completed, go back into the add/remove components, and this time check the box for games. You will need the Windows XP cd for it. Once it completes the installation, you should have the games back.

6. CosmosGirl

Thanks Tidus4Yuna...tried following through with your advice but not having success. Niether games or accessories were checked. I checked games, clicked ok...it returns to "accessories and utilities" with the only option of "next". I click "next"...it says "freecell.exe" cant be found, wants me to browse for location...I finally found freecell...then it goes down the list...cannot find hearts, minesweeper...can't find those anywhere. I have the win xp cd inserted...it says "are you sure you want to continue setup without copying these files? "...so I cancel at that point. Is that wrong-right thing to do? Suggestions? I have ad-aware and spybot...could I have eliminated something during one of my scans? Could I have deleted these games during a junk file cleaning? (did a junk cleaning once--but decided to get rid of the program) I've always tried to examine closely the files before making any deletions...and opt out of deleting if not sure... always appreciate your input.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What it will do is that it will say it cannot find the file and wants you to look for it. It's located in the I386 folder of the CD drive (assuming your drive is D: it would be D:\I386) You had it right, you just need to point XP in the right direction.

8. CosmosGirl

ok...i put a check in "accessories and utilities" (which automatically checks games), it starts to "copy files" and always stops and says "freecell.exe couldn't be found...win xp cd is needed. at bottom of that same window, c:\i386 always shows up. i click "ok" and nothing happens. I try changing the drive to "d" and "e", nothing happens. I have to browse. I find freecell in win system 32 I believe but there is absolutely no hearts, solitaire, etc. I browse. Check in Win, system 32...program files...all kinds of places...cant find any sign of the other games...So, again, as I cancel out of each thing, it asks if I want to continue without copying these files...I continued on for quite a bit...it went thru a long series of "are you sure you want to continue without copying these files" on all kinds of things....so, I finally completely cancelled out. Am I supposed to go thru a long series of other "continue without copying these files"....questions. confused? was i on the right track again and just bailed out too early?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    define quite a bit. When I installed the games, it went quickly. On the second time it asked for the CD again and I had to choose the location for the folder again. Once it got that it did the rest of the files without my intervention. As long as you point Windows towards the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD, it should install all of the games.

10. CosmosGirl

This is a list of files I go through...I don't know how many more there are for I stopped :
    Setup cannot copy file mshearts.exe . Do you want to continue setup without copying this file? I click "yes". Then the same question is asked with each of the following: winmine.exe, winmine.hlp, sol.exe, sol.hlp, calc.exe, calc.hlp, charmap.exe, getuname.dll, charmap.hlp, mspaint.hlp, amipro.sam, winchat.exe, winchat.hlp, dialer.hlp, avtapi.dll, and avmeter.dll....

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It sounds like you are doing all of the Accessories and Games. All you need to do is the games.

12. CosmosGirl

ok. made it through. :D :D Reinstalled a few other things that apparently needed to be --- which is great--nice to have programs back...Also got my freecell, pinball, spider solitaire back. unfortunately, there is no regular solitaire, minesweeper or hearts. I ran setup two more times, rebooted...just to see if that would help. Nothing. Further suggestions?

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    i find it hard to believe that there is no hearts / sol / msweeper. There might be something wrong with your CD then

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice