1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 0x0000007E during Repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rainforest123, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

Recently, I was trying to help someone fix a computer that had Windows XP Pro SP2 on it.
    The computer had become unstable after uninstalling some version of Office.

250 GB HDD, > 200 GB free; NTFS. No partitions.

After running the repair installation and the 1st reboot of said repair, a BSOD appeared, noting 0x0000007E. HOWEVER, no specific file was noted.

Per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
    "Method 3: Disable or update device drivers
    If you have updated the BIOS successfully and the problem persists, the video adapter drivers on the computer might have to be updated or disabled. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the video adapter drivers:
    1. If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.
    • If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition uses the NTFS file system, you might be able to use safe mode to rename or to delete the faulty driver.
    • If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in safe mode, you must use the Recovery Console to start the computer.
    2. If the Stop error message does not indicate a specific driver, update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions. "

I didn't update the BIOS because the 0x0000007E did not appear previously.

How can I update the Video driver is I cannot get into Windows?

No, it would not boot into safe mode; probably because the repair installation had not finished.

Thanks for your help.

Solution was re-format, re-install.

RF123

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That error indicates that the hard disk controller driver for that drive could not load. This is often the result of trying a repair on a machine that no longer has those registry entries due to having used a registry cleaner.

One solution that may work is to uninstall the disk controller from Device Manager before starting the repair. All antivirus software, antimalware software, firewalls, and CD-ROM related software (Daemon Tools, UltraIso, WinIso, burning programs, DVDInfo Pro, etc.--that load CD-ROM drivers) should also be removed to insure the success of the repair. And chkdsk and defrag should, of course, be run. All this assuming the machine is bootable.

3. rainforest123

E:
    I like your sense of humor!
    "One solution that may work is to uninstall the disk controller from Device Manager before starting the repair."

Have you a source for: "That error indicates that the hard disk controller driver for that drive could not load."? I don't doubt the veracity. I am trying to learn. In my research for this problem, I didn't see a notation of the HDD controller driver.

"All this assuming the machine is bootable."

I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console; same error message.

Have you access to a time machine?
    :)

RF123

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some people actually try to repair a machine that still boots, of course. But often a repair is the last resort.

You should have doubted the veracity since I mixed 7B up with 7E. For 7B, the driver is the culprit. For 7E, the cause is more vague:

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7e

5. rainforest123

E:
    Yes, I had read the aumha 7E page.

I doubt only that which I know to be false; not that of which I am ignorant.

Thanks.

RF123

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice