1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 1 Computer works 1 doesn't on Cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MPeg3, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

My husband and I each had our computers connected to a router (with Ethernet wires) which was connected to our cable modem. We had them networked and were both able to get on the Internet at any time. Suddenly, yesterday, we could neither one get on. I called our cable modem provider and they had me reset the router first and when that didn't work, they had me plug my computer directly into the modem. It worked fine. I assumed our router had gone bad.

Later, we unplugged my computer and plugged my husbands computer into the modem. His computer wouldn't go online. We then tried a different Ethernet cord to be sure his cord hadn't gone bad. He still can't connect, but when my computer is plugged in, it works just fine. I don't know if it is relevant or not, but in his Network Connections, all we see is Local area Connection. Mine has 4 icons. Local Area Connection, 1394 Connection, VMWare Network Adapter VMnet1, and VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 which all say they are connected.

Can you give me any suggestions as to what has gone wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks
    Peggy

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You must power cycle the modem whenever you change the connected device. Try this.

Turn everything off, modem, router, computers.

Connect the router to the modem, and the computers to the router.

Turn on the modem, wait for a connect light.

Turn on the router, wait at least two minutes.

Boot up the computers, see if you're connected.

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Thank you so much. That fixed things for us and we are both back online.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad we could help. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice