1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 10 Minute Boot Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GreyGuy, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreyGuy

GreyGuy Thread Starter

It takes 10 minutes to reboot my computer! - says He
    Oh-come-now... You don't have the fastest machine but 10 minutes? Surely you exaggerate! - says I
    10 minutes later I’m cleaning out temp files and cookies and the like, deleting old profiles, cleaning up MSConfig, and Defragging AND moving anything that looks important out to his network share.
    There you are good as new! – says I
    10 minutes later I’m running Scandisk and Memtest86. Updating NIC and Video drivers. (Yes, I checked the Link Speed and Duplex settings.) Updating Windows and MSOffice (Hey, I figure while I’m here.) Updating and running McAfee Enterprise and AdAware. Everything comes back clean. I notice the whopping 10Gig HD only has 800 Megs of free space AFTER I deleted a bunch of stuff! I find an old 30Gig HD in the shop and install. Move the PageFile to D:\ and…There you are! SHOULD be good as new. – says I
    10 minutes later I’m giving this machine Major Stink Eye!
    What’s wrong? – says He
    It’s technical. – says I
    I’m going out for coffee. – says He

So here’s what we have…
    WinXP Pro SP3
    Gateway e6000, 2.4 Gig CPU, 1 Gig RAM, 10Gig and 30Gig HD’s

I'll get a HJT file in a bit. I wanted to get this thing posted asap. Thanx!

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Sounds like you threw the kitchen sink at it. So, where does it spend most of that time. XP Boot screen? Welcome/Log-in screen? Desktop? BIOS screen?

3. HCD

HCD

Disable McAfee enterprise through MSconfig - does it make a difference?
    Go "services.msc" and check with Black Viper to see what is optimum boot configuration

4. HCD

HCD

Oh - and by the way - it's always good to nip out for a coffee when the damned thing takes ages......never pays to watch the kettle boil!

5. GreyGuy

GreyGuy Thread Starter

First off I wanna say thanx for the help. As it turns out I put the 30Gig HD w/OS installed as the Master and the 10Gig as the slave and it works like a champ. He had all sorts of video viewing SW and it would have been a REAL pain to find and install them all over again. So now he has room to grow AND all his old programs. I would ask why these things happen, but that just gives me a headeache! BTW, I did turn off McAfee and it didn't have any affect.

Thanx all...

6. HCD

HCD

please mark sorted. Well done

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice