1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 1394 Firewire and USB Headers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hello there. I have recently decided to build my self a quiet small desktop PC for use in my office room. I decided to use this motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170157

Now this is the question. On the case it has a firewire plug. Now I do not need it at the moment but I may need it some time in the future but I don't think the motherboard has a firewire header. The plug for the firewire that comes from the front of the case looks the same as the USB plug as well and they both have the same pin blanked off. Can I plug the firewire front panel connector into the USB header? I have 2 of them and I only need one for the USB ports.

Thanking In advance,

Jack-O-Bytes

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You cannot plug the Firewire into a USB header or vice versa, physically yes, but electronically no. If you want to use it you'll need to purchase a firewire card with an internal firewire header.

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

OK that is what I thought would happen. I didn't have something to test it with that is why I asked here. Thanks guys. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!