1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem Error

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by FunLovnRu2, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FunLovnRu2

FunLovnRu2 Thread Starter

I am running XP Home Edition, SP2 on a P4 2.50GHz & 256 MB of RAM.

I recently started getting the following error when I try to open a game that has played fine on my computer since day one & I also got it while trying to install a program:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem (in title bar)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    terminate the application.

I went to the Microsoft Knowledge Base & found the error here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767.

I'm not an expert on computers but I follow directions well... provided they are given so they CAN be followed! The first sentence in the 'Resolution' section had me stumped! Insert WHAT CD? :rolleyes:

Further down in the 'Resolution' section it says I may need my XP CD. What if I only have the 'Recovery Tools' & the 'System Recovery' CD's from HP? Will these work? Do I have to reformat? I tried doing a 'System Restore' to an earlier date which didn't resolve the problem.

I guess maybe I need someone to hold my hand or maybe I need translation into more simplified terms?! LOL! :confused:

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

2. PinkPanther8

PinkPanther8

Hi Fun Lovin

This problem is easy to solve

Go to Start>Search>Search for Files and Folders

Run a search for AUTOEXEC.NT

Right Click on it-- Copy it-- Do not cut it

Run a search to find your System32 folder

Paste the AUTOEXEC.NT file into your System32 folder

That should fix the problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/311457